i was wandering if ya'll had any ideas on how to keep fire ants out of the hive? i use a rack that is set up on 2" pipe and then i coat the post under the hive w/ grease. it seams to work because the grease stays on for a while and they won't cross the grease. (works great on electric areas ie. well pumps) anyway, i was wondering if there were any other ideas.

put the hive on a stand w/ legs, but the legs in coffee cans full of spent motor oil. Make sure the hive isn't touching a tree or branch or anything.
    Central IL... where there are more hogs than people and more soybeans than hogs and people put together.

I have seen pictures of hive stand posts setting in cans of oil.

You could keep chickens under your hives

I use a bait trap container with a poisen that they carry back to the nest which seems to work very well.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

I don't even try to keep them out, but then I haven't seen many. Maybe they will eat the SHB?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

There is a fly being ivestigated that lays eggs in the heads of fire ants,killing the fire ants. I hope it ain't like the experiment with African bees. Reminds me of the old song about the old woman who swallowed a fly, a spider etc.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

Find the ant nest and kill them.

Fire ants have not been much of a problem for me unless they are heavily infested very near or under the hive. We just use a bait poison on the mounds near the hives as necessary. I believe a ground drench like Guard Star is supposed to work on fire ants also. I think fire ants help with SHB.