Exclamation

Hi, My mom just got a beehive from a friend about 6 months ago. The bees have been doing perfectly fine- until today! We were outside this morning when I noticed there was no activity. We found all the bees dead lying on the front of the hive and in groups around in the grass. There are a few survivors, but they are all acting sick or confused. It looks as if someone just took a can of spray to the whole thing, but of course nobody would do a thing like this-and we can't smell any poison. We haven't been able to get hold of our friend who checks on our bees all day, and we have nobody to help us. We opened up the hive and there were dead bees everywhere. Can anyone help??? These bees were perfectly fine yesterday, and I don't see how a whole hive of bees could be decimated in just one night. The queen is must be dead because we don't see her anyhere. Can anybody give me an answer as soon as possible? Thankyou, westendgirl

[This message has been edited by westendgirl (edited August 03, 2002).]

Lightbulb

Did they spray for Mostquitos?

Cpecka

Kevin S. Lunsford Guest

Hello,
    Sounds like pesticide poisoning. We call the confused bees "drunk"-walking around not able to fly. I have had this with neighbors using (abusing) "seven". Bees bring home the powder as pollen, feed it to the young and store it for later use. Call your local bee inspector ASAP-even on Sunday, samples need to be gathered. Someone owes you a colony of bees!!!
    Kevin

Question

We were finally able to contact our bee inspector, he told us the same thing about the sevin poison. He's going to come over tomorrow to inspect the hive. I found a place that I can send bee samples to for a diagnostic and I'll mail the sample as soon as possible.
    It may just be the sevin poison, because my mom put some on a tree about 100 yards away from our house the other day. But she just washed it off, so thats good.
    Now a second question. We have another hive actually inside our house. They have been living there for quite a few years, but unlike the ones that died, we can see no problems with them, and they seem as happy as ever. Perhaps these bees never went to the tree? Do you think they will be okay?

Hello my west girl. Whenever I harvest my pollen, I notice that the colors are different even thought the hive with pollen traps are next to each other. The moral of the story is that bees work sources different from each other. The hive that died may have been from you mother's spraying, or perhaps from something else. But almost without question, pesticides killed your bees.

Tim
    tvaughan@charter.net

Thanks everyone for your input and help. We will definitely be wiser next time.