Hi ALL,
    I am writing to tell you that last year I discovered if you go to Wal Mart and buy 50-100 pieces of chicken they will give you a large cardboard box with a handle on top.
    THIS BOX IS PERFECT for making a swarm or split box.
    I have used it to capture swarms from trees and it can be used to lure swarms.
    You can cut a notch in the bottom front much like the cardboard nuc boxes from Dadant and then cut a window in each side with screen over the inside to cover the holes. I find that frames fit PERFECTLY and all I have to do is to cut a slot/hole for the ears of the frames. One could use one to three frames. Add some lemon grass oil and hang it under a protective overhang to keep it from getting wet (its cardboard afterall!).
    It is lightweight, the entrance folds back in again for keeping the bees in and the handle makes it perfect for transport. Swarms move into them and I suppose they would be good for temporary splits.
    Unlike the flowerpot types sold in the bee mags, this one has room for frames, just in case you don't get to them in time and they can build comb on frames instead of attaching them to the inside walls.
    I suppose you could use them in trees if you put a plastic covering over them.
    I bought some from Wal Mart for very little money in the folded flat position. They are painted very easily while in this position. I find a coat of paint helps to keep the carboard from absorbing moisture in the air. They can refolded flat after you take the frames out and stored in the trunk of your car for short notice on a swarm call.
    I hope this is helpful to you swarm catchers. It is certainly cheaper and easier than using the mail order versions.
    Jason Groppel

Great Jason, now I'll have to read about all the Wal-mart haters and bashers one more time. [img]smile.gif[/img] And that chicken probably came from China, raised by 5 year old children, chemically enhanced with steroids, and sold by emplyees who are under-paid and taken advantage of, and contribute to the small local owners going out of busines. Did I miss anything? I think I have the normal routine down....

Another good box to use as a swarm trap is
    the box from any of the Cisco 72xx series
    of routers. Notch the foam inserts, and
    a medium frame slides right in. Very
    heavy-duty cardboard.

Problem is, not many people buy big routers,
    and I don't have enough to share.

I have to ask - do the boxes from Mall-Wart
    say "made in USA" on the bottom? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Plus, where were the boxes made?,,, and recycled from who knows what?,, maybe old swarm traps. [img]smile.gif[/img]

That's a good idea Jason, I will add to my list. I have swarm traps made from, 5 gal buckets, dresser drawers, suit cases, cardboard boxes placed in garbage bags to prevent rain destroying them. And my trap I am most proud of, made out of an old foot locker. It features the entrance hole drilled in the center part of that round lock thingy. All I have to do after the swarm enters is snap the lock closed,,, “have bees, will travel”. [img]smile.gif[/img]

You can get all these at walmart also.

Yes, I believe they do.
    Then again, China owns most of our debt anyway, so I suppose they may do a hostile takeover/land grab or something along the lines of the movie I have heard about...Manchurian Candidate. [img]smile.gif[/img]

When I first started using the boxes, I would just go ask at different WM stores and they would give me a couple. Later when I decided they were working well for me, I deciced to buy about 10 of them for about a dollar a piece.
    Jason

What makes a good trap are those old wooden oak whiskey barrels that they cut in half and place round plastic tub on top for a planter. It leaves a nice large void for swarms inside. I’ve seen them at Lowe’s. Drill a 1 inch hole in the side, add a lure, and place it in the front lawn and nobody will be suspicious that it is actually a cleverly disguised ’swarm trap’.

You can give them away as gifts to all your neighbors or relatives that always complain about your bees. You’ll have swarm traps at good locations throughout the neighborhood, and they won’t be wise to what it actually is!!

And they will be sure to call when your bees swarm into the barrel and demand that you remove them. You can then, charge them a fee for removing the bees and recover the cost of the gift!!!!! Set the flower pot back up after removing the swarm, water the flowers, tell them the flowers are beautiful! Then slip a fresh swarm lure to the trap, and your ready to go again.

Something about these barrels, the impregnated smell from the wine or whiskey can attract swarms.

When you go to Wal-Mart, what do you ask for? A chicken box? At the meat department, I assume? Sounds like a plan to me. I'd like to get several.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

I ask for the 50-100 piece chicken boxes. If they tell you they can't give them away, you could always ask the deli manager if you could buy some. Sometimes I would ask if they would be willing to sell or give away one or two of the boxes. This gives them the impression that you don't mind paying, but they will not be up to figuring up the cost/price code (for the register) of the box and say, "What the heck, you can have a couple."
    It is in the deli section where they have the lunch meats and fried chicken and usually a bakery beside it, but not always.
    Jason

Bjorn, ya forgot to address that someone, somewhere in making that box polluted something...and don't forget PETA complaining about killing the chicken.

BubbaBob

Bjorn, is it the chicken or the 5 year old chinese kids that are chemically enhanced with steroids? I made a swarm box/nuc from card board and paper ma'che . coated it inside with some melted slumgum wax and exterior clear coated the outside. It holds 6 frames and works like a champ. The scout bees seem to like the smell of the old brood wax coating on the inside.
    <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/beekeepersofalbemarle/http://www.tidewaterbeekeepers.org\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.geocities.com/beekeepersofalbemarle/http://www.tidewaterbeekeepers.org</a>

Wife: "Tell me again dear why you bought 100 pieces of fried chicken?" Husband: "I wanted the cardboard box to catch bees in!"...It sounds perfectly logical to me. Count me in!

Now, there's an idea!
    JG

I bet if we let Walmart know the boxes had value to beekeepers they'd have them packaged in cellaphane and we could buy them outright, thus saving thousands of chickens each year! Peta would be happy, the chickens would be happy and we'd be happy catchin more bees. Is this a good time to mention we beekeeper are the worst bunch of pack rats to come down the pike. At least we use the stuff we scavange!

If the rest of the world was as inventive and adaptive and scroungy as beekeepers the landfills would be less full....
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

PETA wouldn't be either...after they find out how many mites we kill every year

PETA is so completely off track that I do not even care what they think. They think we are pimps in regard to queens. They literally consder mating queens rape.
    Some people just need to get a life instead of freaking out over beekeepers' treatment of bees.

Thanks, Jason, for starting this idea. I finally got around to visiting the supercenter and asking for a box. No one seemed to know what I was describing. After being "transfered" from one employee to the next, none of whom had any clue what I was talking about, I finally reached the deli manager.

He said he had no way of retailing these boxes as they were not priced, nor could he give them to me. I returned to the deli and asked if I could "see" a box. They had a whole pile of neatly folded, brand new boxes. I gave it a look, lifted it up and felt of it, hoping for the inspiration to copy it.

I'll continue to go with wood nuc boxes, though heavier, will likely last longer.

Thanks for a great idea. I only wish I could have given it a try.

Grant
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Wow, I am sorry to hear that. I picked up an extra one the other day after a church get-together. It was a little greasy, but that shouldn't hurt it too much. If you were to approach a different deli employee and just ask if they would give you one, it might happen. You might just have to go to another Wal Mart. The ones down here in the South seem to be a little more accomodating! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I just got back and had the same results. In fact, they were king of rude about it as though I ask them for their first born. This is Austin though, and all these jerks are up tight. My wife is from Nacogdoches and they're alot more laid back there. I have a friend there who's wife is a veteran from that Wal-Mart. She might give me the hook up. I have a baby so we frequent the grandparents. I'll have to give it a go.

In the old America you could at least count on knowing who the whiners were. Now most of the whining comes from people whining about whiners. They easily drown out the original whiners. I've never even met a PETA member, but dittoheads?

Of course, now I'm whining about whining about whining....It's contagious.
    It\'s people! Soylent Green is peeeeople!