I have 10 hives and 2 nucs. They are all doing very well, with honey,eggs, brood, lots of bees,etc. etc. My husband helps me but is not crazy about the bees. He does my lifting and is a great 'go-fer'. One of the hives just seems to HATE him! I can go in this hive and they are a little jumpy but not unmangeable. When he is with me and we work this hive the bees are hot! There are 100's on his hat,suit, gloves and all are leaving stingers! They even try to attack me until he walks away from the hive! Yesterday, When we worked this hive, they started there attack and I stayed next to it and ask him to walk away. He had gotten about 25feet from the hive and they we as calm as could be. I continued to work the hive. Yes, I smoked them really well, top and bottom and did it about 5 minutes before we started and then again , just as we opened it up! HE always wants to leave this hive until last because they are so hot but I think we should work it first: while he is fresh, not tried and the smoker is going great! What can I do? I will requeen as soon as I take the honey!

Try washing all of yours and his beekeeping clothes. Once one stings, the others follow suit. My wife has a similar problem, but I think a persons reaction to close-flying bees has a lot to do with it. When you are near the bees one is bound to land on you or bump into you. Some people assume they are being attacked and start to move quickly. This can trigger aggressive behavior in the bees. I've found that talking too much or breathing on them tends to upset them. It may also be due to body chemistry. He may smell like a predator to the bees. Have him brush his teeth before hand or chew gum. See if that makes a difference. I think my bees don't care for my wife's hairspray. They fly right past me just to tangle themselves in her hair.

Wink

<<<<<<<<<<Have him brush his teeth before...>>>>>>>

HahahaÂ… give him lots of garlic and you can work on an empty hive. With the right wind direction even your neighbour would disappear.

Is that a joke or does garlic really work as a bee deterent?

You may want to look at such things as deodorant, aftershave,hair tonic/spray. When
    it gets hot out and one starts to sweat, the pores are flushing out all these strange odors. Since you don't have the problem,and you use the same soap in the shower, the soap could probably be ruled out. My bet...the aftershave!

Does he eat bananas? That will set them off too. I agree with all of the above statements (except I'm not sure about the galric). After shave, washing the bee suit.

I know when my hives were hot, I was the only one they tried to sting. Sometimes someone else would get buzzed or head butted but I had been marked for death.

Thanks everyone. DH has allergies so he doesn't use anything that has a strong smell. He uses an electric razor and we use the same soap, toothpaste BUT he does use a 'tar' based shampoo for dandruff? I wonder if that is the problem?? I have him use mine next time and see what happens..

P.S. His bee suit is washed every time.

As far as I remember, that kind of shampoo has a marked petroleum smell similar to kerosene. That could do it. Have him soak his hair in vinegar for a few minutes. It will smeel just as bad and the bees might not like it, but it will get rid of dandruff (as long as it's not a clinical case)

I am also convinced that c02 emissions have a lot to do with it. Just like with Mosquitos. The more you emit the more they will come at you. If there is a skeeter within 5 miles it will find me and not my wife who wears perfume,hair products etc. Same for my son gettingbit but not my daughter.

In "Beekeeping for Dummies" the author recommends rubbing baby powder on your hands before working the hive which he does without gloves. He says that bees like the smell of baby powder. I haven't tried it. Has anyone else tried this?

I use lavender scents, oils, soaps, shampoo conditioners etc. They like it.

Yes, MaryB, the baby powder thing really does work! I use it quite often.

Cool

You might try spraying some Honey-B-Healthy on his hands and/or his clothes. I think the bees have a natural aversion to stinging something that is sweet and or pheromone-like attractive. I usually use it instead of smoke anyway.

Thanx.