Our town is making plans to spray for mosquitos. I live on the outskirts along a creek. What do they normally use to spray and what do I have to do to keep my bees safe?

Question

From what I have seen, here in PA, they are spraying stagnent water, areas around the stagnent water, and anyplace they feel these mosquitos can breed. I saw on the news, that unused swimming pools are getting sprayed. As far as your bees go, unless you seal up the hives, you will probably have minor losses. Bees will be out in the sun, foraging, not in areas like mosquitos. The losses you experience, might be from there watering hole, if they spray by your creek.
    I think, if it was me, give them water, until they finish spraying. If your hives are on the bank of the creek, then your losses might be more, and you may want to move them, otherwise, I think you will be fine.

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

They would fog for mosquitoes in Mitchell NE when I lived there and it was Malathion. They were spraying in the daytime though and it killed off about half of my bees during the mosquito season. I complained to the EPA and then they sprayed at night. (which is required by the EPA) For about a week. Then they went back to spraying in the daytime. It does not good, of course, to fog for mosquitoes during the day when the mosquitoes are NOT out and the bees ARE out. Instead of right after dark when the mosquitoes are out and the bees are not. I'd keep an eye and an ear out as to what they are doing. There are some people in the world who are not that smart and will do things that are expensive and counter productive. It is not hard to spray for mosquitoes without endangering a lot of bees, but that doesn't mean they will do it.