Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Oh come on Michael. Don't you enjoy working your bees without things in between you and your bees? Do you always wear a suit, gloves and a veil?

The Africans haven't gotten to your neighborhood yet, have they?

A bright sunny day with a mild breeze and during a nectar flow. No veil, no gloves, nirvana.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I'm with Michael. I'll skip the gloves and suit most of the time (too hot), but I'll never go into a hive without my veil again! I learned the hard way. It's funny and I know I'm anthropomophizing (sic), but the girls seem to know they can't "get at me" when I have the veil on and I get nary a head butt, but leave the veil off and WHAM! Guaranteed. I've broken my own rule several times and most times I pay for it!

>Oh come on Michael. Don't you enjoy working your bees without things in between you and your bees? Do you always wear a suit, gloves and a veil?

I am often foolish enough to open a hive because I happen to be in someones apiary (often mine) without a veil. But I should know better. [img]smile.gif[/img] My bees? Yes when I go out with the intent to work the bees, I always wear a jacket, gloves and a veil, except when I need more dexterity and I take off the gloves. But considering I can catch and mark a queen with gloves on, if I have to, that's not often.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

You know......when you're riding mower is stuck, blowing into a screened bottom board, and bees are boiling out and stinging you!!

You know you were a beekeeper if your tombstone is marked the same as you mark your hives, is shaped like a hive and has frames.

Oh my God sqkcrk! I almost spit my diet pepsi all over my monitor. Your reference to Charles Mraz in his swim trunks and sandals instantly gave me a Visual from my neighbor's point of view - me blissfully inspecting my hives, so intune with nature, wearing nothing but a pair of Speedo's that are two sizes too small and a pair of my wife's Birkenstock sandals! Think Cris Farley here........
    \"Home is where the hive is.\"

Jim, how about if that tombstone hive was also hollow so swarms could set up there right in the middle of the cemetery? It would make those vandals who tip over grave stones to think twice!
    \"Home is where the hive is.\"

When the phone rings and a frantic voice says
    "911 said to call you"
    What I Smoke has a Sting to it

Another one" When they deduct value on your car trade because it smells like a smoker owned it.
    What I Smoke has a Sting to it

If, after a particularly nasty visit to the hives when not wearing a veil, you've ever uttered the phrase "Wof fo dam fummy?"
    I've found it easier to keep bees than keep relationships. At least when I'm stung by bees I know why.

I think the "knowing when to use them" is a better mark of a knowledgable beekeeper than "refuse to use them" when it comes to protective gear. Too often I hear comments, similar to the last, made about rock climbers (regarding ropes), motorcyclists and skateboarders(regarding helmets), etc. I'm not sure why one would regale carelessness over calculated caution.

Having the ability to "know when" somehow shows more knowledge to me than "not knowing when." Furthermore, recognizing one's responsibility to set an example of rationality and technique to new beekeepers also weighs in. Propagating an image to new beekeepers that they won't be considered a "real" beekeeper until they abandon their protective gear doesn't earn extra points.

Waya
    WayaCoyote

I guess I just equate the knowledge of when one can work bees without encumberances like gloves and veils as beeing a beekeeper who is comfortable with his bees.

I often assume that I should wear a veil. But many times I let the bees "tell" me when to put it on.

I didn't think that I was dissing anyone for wearing protective gear. I do think that beginners should wear as much as is necessary, for as long as is necessary, until they are comfortable with less.

Personally I find suits too tight and hot and gloves the same, as well as a hinderance when holding supers or frames.

Wear whatever you want. A "real beekeeper" wouldn't let anyone elses opinion bother them.

Michael, what kind of gloves do you have that you can pick up a queen with. Playtex Living Gloves? [img]smile.gif[/img]

What if the bees "told" you right to your eyeball...

Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.
    www.goldfinch-acres.com

>Personally I find suits too tight and hot

Because you don't have a Golden Bee Products suit. [img]smile.gif[/img]

> and gloves the same, as well as a hinderance when holding supers or frames.

After working many winters as a carpenter in sub zero weather, I have no problems with dexterity with gloves on. I can sort nails in one hand and nail them with the other with gloves on. I have even done it with mittens on. In -10 F weather, the amount of time you can hold nails in a bare hand is measured in single digit seconds, not minutes.

>Michael, what kind of gloves do you have that you can pick up a queen with. Playtex Living Gloves?

Deer skin. But I have tried the playtex ones also. They are ok, but my hands get too sweaty in them.

It's nice to think you can always predict what mood the bees will be in. And if you're good, you can -- MOST of the time. It's the one time you are wrong that you learn to wear protective gear. They call it protective for a reason. [img]smile.gif[/img]

When I started beekeeping, I was doing cutouts wearing only a veil. Some were nice. Some were not. After a few that were not, I bought the full coveralls with a zip on veil and bee gloves.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Back on topic!

You realize your a beekeeper when after about 15 minutes you suddenly understand that when your wife is telling you about what she and the "girls" did today, she means your daughter and grand-daughter.

You realize your a beekeeper when your boss walks into your office in the morning and upon seeing your left eye nearly swollen shut says "You should see a doctor!" And you reply "For a bee sting?!"
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

You realize that you are a beekeeper when you get stung in the butt while squating in an orchard at 5:30 AM watching the sun coming up over the mountain and lake.

"Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day, looks like there's plenty of sunshine, everythings going my way."

When you assume you are not a Jedi, and you have not mental power on your bees, and wearing a veil you forget your...
    http://album.miarroba.com/merops_apiaster/16/109/

Wink

You know you're a beekeeper When your wife has "jammies" with a zip on veil.

-APH

Your kids ask "how cold is it this morning?" And you can look at the hives on the back porch and estimate the exact temp within 5 deg.
    Todd Zeiner

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345