I inspected the nuc that I received on 5/27 that has a Purvis queen. I was impressed & happy with it. Saw the queen and she is an AMAZON! The girls had very good manners too. Gentle & industrious. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "The greatest threat is our own staggering ignorance and cavalier treatment of the natural world to which we belong."

I was topping off all my hives with supers last weekend getting ready for a much needed vacation. I'll be gone for two weeks and wanted them to have plenty of room. The yellow clover is winding down and the white is just about ready to bloom.

The seventh hive I opened was a PBA Gold line from last year. They poured out of the hive and followed me the rest of the day, they never gave up. They really turned nasty. The other hive of PBA didn't do that.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Bullseye, are they holding the mites at bay? How is thier production compared to your other hives.

We got some last year and they got lost in the operation. So we didn't get to evaluate them like I wanted to. Just wondering what everone who has had them for a year thought of them.

Nick, I was wondering the same thing. Earlier I read on a different thread ( I have it as a printout somehwere) that Purvis and some others are trying to raise "survivor" bees (not necessarily hygienic or SMR bees) by exposing hives to high mite counts. I thought it was a great experiment, but can't find any information anywhere about the outcome. Their website doesn't give any definitive answers either. Does anybody know about their efforts to raise mite tolerant/resistant queens?

Pray tell, what is a Purvis queen?

>Bullseye, are they holding the mites at bay? How is thier production compared to your other hives.

Of the three hives from last year requeened with PBA Gold line, I harvested five supers, 1,2,2.

One that gave me two supers died early spring. The nasty hive gave me two last year and now is starting it's third. The other one that is still alive has two supers. I run a three medium brood and no excluders.

Average yield in Kansas is 56 lbs. or just under two mediums of PC. Most of my producers are setting with between six and nine mediums including brood. Yellow clover is winding down and white is about to start blooming. Flow will stop here around the first week of July.

I am a little confused did they produce more or less than the rest of your bees?

Purvis queens are generally thought to be a bit less productive than good quality Italians. They are much more likely to survive mites so you trade a small amount of production for a bee that doesn't have to be treated every fall for varroa. All in all, the cost of treating vs the opportunity cost of production is probably about a break even deal.

Fusion

>did they produce more or less than the rest of your bees?

Less in general. My best production is coming from NWC stock and unknown mutts. I have four and five full supers on those where the PBA only have a couple supers full. Still not bad for this area, but this is a really good year for honey production.