Lightbulb

if necessity is the mother of invention,then laziness must be an aunt or close cousin.i've gotten tired of making syrup,cleaning the feeders,etc.so this is what i've been doing for the past few months.above the inner cover i spread a good amount of granulated sugar(over a pound) in a circle around the opening in the inner cover,i then slowly and carefully pour a thick sugar syrup or honey along the granulated sugar,not too much that it runs down into the hive or along the sides,most is soaked up by the granualted sugar,the bees take an immediate interest in this and end up using the granulated sugar much more readliy than if you just use the granulated sugar by itself.i then put a 2nd inner cover over this and add a sheet of newspaper above it to absorb moisture.working pretty good.

Sounds like a dandy idea HH. I'm doing something similar but I haven't added honey to the sugar.

I will do this, sure as shootin, I will.

"pour a thick sugar syrup or honey along the granulated sugar"

This sound very interesting.
    I'm probably making this more difficult than it is but I'm a newbee and will ask anyway. Do you pour the granulated sugar in a ring around the inner cover hole and then pour the syrup in a ring on the inside, outside or directly on the lb of sugar?
    Thank you

i usually pour it syrup/honey on the inside of the ring to get the bees interested,being careful not to let a bunch run down into the hive.i'll also sometimes make a little trench with my finger in the sugar and pour it into that so it soaks in well.most hives aren't exactly level so watch which way the stuff flows and pour so it'll run against the sugar and soak up well.

This sounds a great idea. I wiil use it at my next bee class. Thanks.

------------------
    If a job is worth doing - Then do it well

i'm still using this technique,it works well,i've found that if i put an inrie shim above the inner cover,i can fit 4-5 lbs. of sugar in there.the sugar also seems to absorb alot of moisture in the hive,this softens up the sugar for the bees,and keeps the hive from getting damp.

I must ask why are we feeding so much this time of year? You should of left 80 lbs. of honey to get them thur the winter. If you have more then just a few hives sugar is not cheap.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

Sugar is alot cheaper than honey. 5# of sugar $1.99 vs. selling 5# of honey @ $15.00

That a side, I leave my bees with enough stores. But, I also feed my bees whenever I can and as much as I can. A hive that has more stores than it needs will have a jump start on next season and be able to expand. It will also give you a head start with making splits with stores already to go.

i agree with mountain camp,a few lbs of sugar is worth the investment,i've seen them store it in cells near the cluster, this could be critical during a severe cold snap.

Sad

Mine were short on stores and I'm using fondant and sugar. Alot of bees but no honey, don' want to loose them so sugar is a cheap way to go if it means survival.

------------------
    'WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES WE ALL LOOK THE SAME' GWPW 03

What a fine idea! I've been using the sugar, but adding a bit of syrup to get them interested is a wonderful thought. Thanks!

Do you have to plug the top cover notch to prevent robbing? The smell of open honey with nothing in bloom might invite all sorts of unwanted guests.

I forget to plug the notch once. What a mess of dead bees!

Could you use candy instead and drip the syrup
    on top.

We have started to use bakers' fondant instead of sugar syrup, which was a right royal pain in the butt to mix, pump and transport to our apiaries. Early days, but I see no reason to go back to syrup feeding.

Peter Edwards gives a strong list of reasons to use fondant here: http://www.stratford-upon-avon.frees...es/Fondant.htm

twind59 Guest

Big Grin

I'm glad someone mentioned fondant. It's supposed to be above 50 here in Indy tomorrow and I was thinking about a supplimental feeding, just to help preserve honey stores, and was wondering about just whipping up a quick batch of thin fondant and placing some "above" the inner cover near the center hole. Perhaps feeding fondant at this time would be the preferred method...feeding syrup, some say, can lead to brood rearing. Any thoughts, comments?
    Thanks
    Barry
    Indianapolis

I'm in south west UK here - temperature a few degrees above freezing. We don't feed syrup later than September, as if it's too cold bees cannot dry it out and it will ferment, causing dysentery, dead bees, etc.

Fondant can be placed on top of frames in thin slices or on an excluder in greater bulk, with an eke or a shallow super to provide clearance. The bees don't need to dry it out, so it can't ferment or cause them any problems, as far as I can see.

Bakers fondant, Could someone be kind enough to post the recipe for making, baker fondant that they have made and used? I would appreciate it.
    Walt

twind59 Guest

My recipe for fondant is just a qt of water into which is dissolved 5 lb sugar. Heat to 260-270 degrees. I did this last night then just poured it out onto a wax paper covered cookie sheet to harden.