What do you look for in a good place to keep your bees? I've always met with mediocre results. One time I put two hives on a farm and they died while the ones I had in the city did ok.

I live in the Minnesota, Twin Cities area.

I'm looking for ideas and tips as to what you do to evaluate a potential location.

Thanks.

Ron
    Butterchurn<br /><br />Diplomacy is the art of saying \'Nice doggie\' until you can find a rock. <br /><br />Will Rogers

The "country bees" may have met with pesticides. Generally, I'd say you want an area that isn't too cultivated. Lots of old, ramshackle farms where the goldenrod never gets cut down, and no one mows their fields. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Lesli<br /> <a href=\"http://beeyard.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://beeyard.blogspot.com/</a>

I look for a spot with nearby clean water, wind break, mostly sunny location and easy truck accessibility, no gates and unrestricted access 24/7. I like spots that are within sight of the landowner’s home to deter theft and vandalism. I look for a wide variety of ‘clean’ forage that will provide nectar year round. Trees, brush, overgrown un kept fields and clovers and other such cultivated forage. Most farmers are happy to have bees on the property, any farmers that attempt to set restrictions on me I hightail it out of there.

I have most of mine in the coutnry. I've had them in cities most of my life. The ones in the cities usually produced more and faired better. But its usually only practicl to have one or two in one spot.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I want wooded areas arround here, but our main flow is poplar. My uncle has asked me to bring bees to his place with a restriction I can live with. He only ask I open and close the gate and call if I will be out there after dark so he does not have to get out and see who is out there. I am trying to locate a place near a grove of black locust. The problem there is a truck can not get to where I can set the hives on the one place I have found with someone I know. I think the 4 wheeler with trailer might make it and will see if it is still an option this fall for next year. My main concern is poisoning with all the nurseries around spraying for different bugs. So I want my hives atleast a mile away from the nurseries.

I try to find places like where the larger beekeepers keep their bees. LEarning curve is expensive!

I'll never place another hive at a place that I can't get my truck at year around. Hillbilly :I've tried that with a 4 wheeler,& want do that again,But that is just me.