I'm all large cell. In my recent order to Dadant, I ordered some plastic brood foundation. In filling that order, they substituted in a few small cell plastic foundations, I assume accidentally.

If I use that in my brood boxes, will the bees be able to draw that out properly? Or should I have them replace it?

I'm just afraid the bees will mess it up, and then I might as well go foundationless and save the money....

thanks!

The small cell plastic is very different looking. It has no cell wall and is just rows of the rhombus shaped faces. Are you sure it's small cell plastic? I understood they were out of them.

As far as large bees drawing the small cell plastic, I never had any luck. I had good luck with regressed bees drawing it. The large bees did everything they could to not draw it on the foundation at all.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

>>The small cell plastic is very different looking. It has no cell wall and is just rows of the rhombus shaped faces. Are you sure it's small cell plastic? I understood they were out of them.

That's definately what I got. Maybe they were out because they mixed them with their regular foundation.

Well, the small cell plastic was going for a couple of bucks a sheet, if I remember right. Sounds like you got a bargin. [img]smile.gif[/img] I'd use it after you use some foundationless or some small cell wax or some starter strips and get them partially regressed. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF