Thread: nuc plans

Question

Does anyone have plans for building a five-frame MEDIUM nuc with an sbb?

The husband has a new table saw and is itchin' to use it... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!

Does anyone have plans for building a "Powers" Style nuc box?
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

Hi Jessbee -
    My husband built me some nuc boxes using the plans in the above link. They're great, but I've since mad a couple of modifications and am wishing for a couple more when we start making nuc boxes this spring.
    1 - We made migratory covers, enough for top and bottom and we cut large (5" diameter) holes in the top/bottoms of a couple of them and stapled with screen. This is great when moving the nucs - good ventillation as it seems we were messing with the nucs in the heat of summer. (doesn't work as a cover if it will rain on the night of your move)
    2 - permanent bottoms with REAR boardman feeder openings. This means cut a notch in the back of the bottom board. You will also need to screw on a support at the back for the boardman feeder to rest on. Then you can put a robber screen on the front if you need to.
    Just my thoughts.

I also built the "Yankee Nucs" based on the plans here - 9 of them. I since built a couple of medium "supers" for them as well, so I can upsize them to 10 frames without moving them to a full size hive - very convenient, especially with the dual-nuc feeders I built to feed two nucs with a single gallon jar feeder.

I've also since used a dado to remove the center third of the bottom of a couple of the nucs and stapled in screen - SBB nucs. I did this really just for ventilation, as the nucs in my one outyard are in full sun most of the day. The screening worked out nice.
    Southeast PA - 7 colonies, local mutts on natural comb, TF
    George Imirie's INDEXED Pink Pages: http://goo.gl/WiZUH3

I had some old deeps and put a strip of 1/4 inch material in the middle and made a bunch of 5 frame double. The 1/4 inch material rise about an inche above the box so I have two lids and can work one nuc at a time.

joe

PA Pete...... I really like your super idea
    for the Nucs!!!

I am going to make more 5-frame boxes. I shaw styrofoan deep into two parts. Then I saw a styrofoam insulatin board to place of missing wall. It is easy to clue when you use polyuretane clue. It attach to plastic. The surfface need a little bit moisture so it hardens polyuretane.