Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Idee,the bird flu (figuratively speaking)hit hard here. I may be suffering from post foulbrood attack syndrome. We had a beekeeper in our area who had 80 hives melt down with foulbrood(due to his own severe neglect and infected equipment which I advised him against using after he bought it from another local beekeper with a meltdown). We cleaned up his yard (with his permission) as he would not. The state inspector literally burned the local hobby bee club out of existance in 2000-2001. I have to be vigilant about who I'm near because we have much to loose should we get the bug. Are we an isolated situation? I look at the trachael mite problem, varroa mites and say, wow did they ever spread, then SHB and AHB - did they ever spread. Add to that no contol. I have great concerns about those with less experiance (many on this post) putting out 60 or 100 lbs of green (unknowingly infected) honey (vs a lb in a wet super) for mine and others bees to rob out, given the current atmosphere. I appreciate your thoughts.

As a side note Michael, Jim keeps track of what supers come off what hives!! (I know, don't say it)

Joel, how do you argue with someone you know is right? I agree with what you say, just not with the power with which you say it. I normally don't buy hives, but I bought 2 this year from an old, well known, trusted queen breeder. BIG MISTAKE.
    One, no queen. Both with SHB. I have never had an SHB. If I get this mess straightened out, I will NEVER bring a hive into my yard again without quarranteening it MILES away first. Still, I don't think feeding in an established yard that has been there for some time is all that dangerous.
    As before stated, Never use another man's honey. It's VERY dangerous.

But the above post sounds more like the REAL Joel.
    Let's keep him.

>As a side note Michael, Jim keeps track of what supers come off what hives!!

Yes, I know and I can't argue that it's a nice idea. Other than the effort involved it certainly can't hurt. But he's actually the only beekeeper I know of who does.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

> But he's actually the only beekeeper
    > I know of who does.

There have to be others, they are simply
    likely to be the larger operations.

Some guys have bar codes on their supers, for Pete's
    sake. I don't think that they are just doing
    woodenware inventory tracking.

The payback is simple - varietal honey sells for
    more than generic, and to sell varietal honey
    (at least in Virginia) you have to be able to
    "prove" which honey came from where when, or
    you are left with no justification for your
    label, and a potential fine from the state
    food guys. Regardless, it is the law, and
    one cannot pick and choose which laws one
    will obey.

Thanks for the temperance message Idee, usually it's Hawk who gets me off my soap box. It's just I've been completely surrounded (sniff, sniff).

>There have to be others, they are simply
    likely to be the larger operations.

In other words you're the only one YOU know of too.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Just a thought...watery "off" tasting honey...may be honey due from afids. Three pounds seems a little much though.

oops-- thats honey dew (not due), can't walk straight half the time either.lol

You did that on purpose. I'm trying to keep my posts down. But okay Iddee, now that we have him down....

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12