Hybrid View

I started last spring with carniolans in nucs. It was a rainy summer and I fed my nucs pretty hard. I use one deep and two mediums as a basic hive and made sure each hive had the 2 mediums in good shape. This spring I find that none of them touched the top super and most of them didn't touch the one under that. In addition, many of them had a lot of honey in the remaining deep. If I'd had the nerve I could have wintered them in 1 deep. I'm going to love these Carnies.
    What do you other folks in a cold climate leave for stores? Have others been surprised by this kind of wintering from Carnolians? I'm happy, I've already got next winters stores being stored.

Dickm

Smile

I used to winter mine here in a single deep (mostly Carniolans also). I fed them very heavy in the Fall until the deep was almost completely plugged, and sometimes had 3-4 full frames left in the Spring. Maybe try a few this Fall and see what happens.

------------------
    Gregg Stewart

Big Grin

I think I am going to try doing one deep this year also. I have carni and they are the only ones that made it.

Big Grin

I think I am going to try doing one deep this year also. I have carni and they are the only ones that made it.