I have been having problems with a large (app. 1 inch long) insect killing my bees. It is red in color W/ green eyes. It seems to ambush them when they are away from the hive (getting nectar or water). Within 10 minutes I have killed around 15, and missed probably that many more. I was wondering if any others have had this experience, and could tell me what these critters are.

Dragonfly?

If yes, then there really isn't much you can do.
    They have to eat too.

robber fly,orbeekiller. varied appearance, from mousy to brilliantly colored tolookingjust likea bee

someone posted a nice pic of a robber fly with a bee in its grasp. try a search on robber fly

Thanks for the list of different Robber Flys, Jim.
    I have always wondered what they were, but never enough to research them. The dragonflys are always a more serious threat. The robber flys never seem to appear in great numbers around the apiary. This is the one I see: Tipulogaster glabrata
    I stand in the road in front of my apiary, look up and see hundreds of dragonflys hovering in the bee's flightpath.
    Jon, N6VC/5

Thanks for the info it they are robber flies. This is the first year I have noticed them in this great of numbers. These things seem to all over the place. I am also having the problem with the dragonflies, and again thanks for the info.

I've noticed a smaller thinner version of a YJ. It looks exactly like a YJ and after not getting through my robber screen went under the hive to my SBB. A few minutes later it was seen in a corner underneath and some of the girls lined up around the area inside. Is this a sports model of a YJ? I just hope it doesn't get inside. I have only seen one or two larger wasps or hornets since we got our lone hive and what were here left. Quick. David

There is a more streamlined yellow and black paper wasp I have a lot of around here. Is that what you see?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF