Thread: Bee-Pro Patties

Question

Anyone here ever used the Bee-Pro Patties from Mann Lake Ltd? I read the advertisement and they sound like they would be the trick.

Looks to be easier than mixing all the yeast, etc.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thesurveyor

[This message has been edited by thesurveyor (edited January 13, 2003).]

Hi,

Any comments would be appreciated.

reply:

What do you do when the bees refuse them and $$$ is wasted. Wouldn't it be better to have a more adequately provided colony with natural pollen stores? I have found little that equals a colony with abundance of natural pollen stores packed nicely away to ustilize at there own timing and disposal.

Clay

My bees ate them like candy last year.
    Bill

I ordered some to try.

Bullseye : Did you notice that they had a stronger start in the spring?

Thanks
    Thesurveyor

[This message has been edited by thesurveyor (edited January 13, 2003).]

I got mine in mid summer and fed them in the fall to build up the numbers on two of my weaker colonys. They ate them up pretty quick and then stopped when the weather turned cold, about the same time they quit taking the sugar syrup. I plan to start up again about forty days prior to the first dandylion bloom.
    Bill

[This message has been edited by BULLSEYE BILL (edited January 13, 2003).]

Like Bill's bees, my bees ate it like candy. I started a new hive on it and they became very strong. I went into the winter with a large number of bees. I even took two suppers of honey from it, leaving one hive body full of honey. Of course I also fed them sugar water. I believe it the in the Bee Pro patties. I also tried the Terra-Patties, but the bees would not eat them.
    Bigearl

I am excited, based on the comments posted so far. I plan to start giving them the patties about 45 days before the red maple bloom, and then we should be off to the races.

I am also converting all my hives over to the beeworks kit. I tried one later in the season last year, and let me tell you it works. Ventilation is key.

Thanks
    Thesurveyor

Yes I use Bee Pro every year along about this time of year , I will be putting some on the next warm day. And yes it is much easier than using the pollen yeast mix which I have done only one time. That one time was at the insistance of a friend, we made both types in equel size 1/2 pound patties and placed them on the hives side by side, the Bee Pro patties were consumed while the pollen mix lay there till it grew fungi and had to be removed.
    As for the bees using the Bee Pro mix, one time you will hardely get the hive closed before they have it consumed , the next time they may not use it a week or more and maybe not at all and while it will get hard I have never seen it grow fungi. I use it on the chance that they will need and use it.
    Recently I read that that you can use it by just applying it dry to the top of the frames, while at the same time putting on sugar water, theory is this will kick start them into brood rearing.
    Cost could be a consideration, but beekeeping is a hobby that the wife and I enjoy together , while I love to make honey and hive products I do not make my living doing this and a man needs some relaxation, I could be fishing, but I don't enjoy it as much and it cost more.
    Regards
    Les in SC

Forgot to mention in the above post that the idea of the substitute pollen and the sugar water is to urge the bees to start using the honey and pollen they have hoarded for brood rearing.
    Les

I have started using the Bee-Pro patties. One hive is consuming them like crazy, the others are just kinda nibbling. I can tell the hive that is eating the patties is much stronger that my other hives.

Good luck to all on building colony strength..

Cya
    Thesurveyor