Jason G in Tennessee Guest

Question

I have heard on occasion that people can use a torch to scorch the inside of a hive that may have AFB to make the hive useful again.
    Is this true?
    Jason

The one time I bought used equipment, I reworked them pretty well before putting them back into service.

After removing the loose nails and replacing with screws and glueing any corners that would come apart, I sanded any loose material off. Then before painting I, used a torch to scorch the insides of the boxes, bottoms, and covers. After that I needed to sand again before painting.

While I had a pretty good scorch going, it was evident to me that much of the propolis was running into the cracks and probably carrying the spores, if any, in with it.

So, in the end, I am not sure that I did much good, however they look much better. I think that if you had enough equipmant to work to make it fesable, boiling in lye would be a better option.

Jason G in Tennessee Guest

How do you boil them in lye?
    I would guess you would use an old kettle and lye soap??
    thanks,
    Jason

There was an article in the ABJ or Bee Culture one or two years ago. Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, it was cautioned that it was a caustic and somewhat dangerous procedure.

They were using a cut down 55 gallon drum over an open fire pit. When they put the boxes into the drum, there would be a flare-up and lye would splatter out.

This has been discussed before if you search for socrching or AFB you'll probably find the other discussions.

Basically scorching will kill most of the AFB spores. No gaurentees it will kill them all, but then all bees have some AFB spores around.

There's descriptions in the other discussions and a description in ABC XYZ of beekeeping (at least in my old edition).

Lye won't kill the AFB, but may get a lot of it out. I don't know about that.

There are states with a fumigation system available that will kill the AFB. Doing the fumigation yourself is not practical.

There are also states where they will iradiate the equipment for you and that will kill AFB spores.

Cool

The following is an excerpt from George Imirie's Feb. 2004 Pink Pages pertaining to AFB:

"It is insidious, it is NOT TREATABLE with anything known by science yet here in 2004. Like using insulin to keep a diabetic patient alive, the patient STILL HAVING THE DISEASE OF DIABETES, you can keep the HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS disease under control by feeding TERRAMYCIN to your bees at least twice yearly. But you must understand that Terramycin WILL NOT KILL AFB and, because AFB is so highly contagious, you are extremely foolish NOT TO DESTROY THOSE BEES AND WOODENWARE PARTS as quickly as possible. Old timers, experimentalists, know-it-alls, and fools have tried every concoction known to the Devil himself to cure or treat AFB for over 100 years, and NOTHING HAS YET BEEN FOUND that will kill the AFB spore without also KILLING THE BEES! Maryland has a vaporizing chamber that uses ethylene oxide that KILLS THE AFB SPORE and sterilizes wooden components of a hive, but almost ALL states BURN THE ENTIRE HIVE, BEES, HONEY, AND associated hive products. AFB is not something to play with. I have personally seen apiaries of 100+ colonies wiped out by AFB in just one year who were owned by irresponsible beekeepers. The seriousness of AFB is the exact reason that my mentor of 70 years ago, Dr. James I. Hambleton, Chief Apiculturist of the US Government started the state bee inspection program in 1922 when 1/3 of all bees in the country had AFB. It is now down to 1-2%.

It is my personal opinion that annually only 10% of all US bees die from bee diseases, while 90% die from beekeeper stupidity or lack of care. Many of these problems can be corrected by beekeepers getting off their lazy butts and learning something with the brain that God GAVE them that so many refuse to use.

Ahh, you just have to love the subtle way George always puts things! Keep it up, George!

Kai

>>"It is my personal opinion that annually only 10% of all US bees die from bee diseases, while 90% die from beekeeper stupidity or lack of care. Many of these problems can be corrected by beekeepers getting off their lazy butts and learning something with the brain that God GAVE them that so many refuse to use."

So, by definition, anybody who has less than 10 hives and ever loses even one of 'em is stupid, uncaring, and lazy. Very inspiring for those of us who were not born knowing everything about beekeeping. It must be nice to be perfect! Take a vacation, George, you've earned it.
    George

>>>"It is my personal opinion that annually only 10% of all US bees die from bee diseases, while 90% die from beekeeper stupidity or lack of care. Many of these problems can be corrected by beekeepers getting off their lazy butts and learning something with the brain that God GAVE them that so many refuse to use."

>So, by definition, anybody who has less than 10 hives and ever loses even one of 'em is stupid, uncaring, and lazy. Very inspiring for those of us who were not born knowing everything about beekeeping. It must be nice to be perfect! Take a vacation, George, you've earned it.
    George

You missed the point, or I am just old enough to appreciate it. He said that ten percent of the hives that die, not one out of ten.

The other point is that if you are going to have charge over any living thing you should learn about it, take care of it, and be responsible. I couldn't agree more with him.

In case you didn't know he IS a master beekeeper, I can only hope to know as much as him after seventy years of beekeeping.

Wink

George is a master, I'll agree. What a great play on words. Words like treatable, cure, treat and kill, all used interchangebly and without definition.

I do agree that all hives possess some spores, or will come into contact with AFB eventually. Knowing that, why does not all have outbreaks? Its an opportunistic stress desease.

I also agree with him about the beekeepers being 90% at fault. If you have a hive die of starvation, who is at fault? Queen stops laying, and you miss an inspection? Overrun with beetles? Mites? moisture problems? Whatever it may be, its the beekeepers skill or lack of, that makes the difference.

I In our state If you are found to have AFB your are required to burn your Hive if I am correct.

BamaBee,
    That is correct. I don't know if it is the Law of the state, but I do know that you have to follow the Bee Inspector's orders regarding AFB, and he has is pretty serious about it in Alabama.
    Coyote

It does seem to vary from state to state. In Nebraska you can treat with TM but only if you start the treatment yourself or you call the bee inspector for advice. If the bee inspector discovers it you have to burn. I think that was to encourage people not to cover it up.