Thread: Kentucky hives-

Default Kentucky hives-

Hi all. I'm just north of Louisville and was curious; what is going on with your hives?

Default Re: Kentucky hives-

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieWoosley View Post
    Hi all. I'm just north of Louisville and was curious; what is going on with your hives?
    Hi Melanie.

I went out to the hives today. All are looking good from the outside, don't like to open em up until warmer weather. Most of the hives were flying, some more than others. Based on inspection board some hives are rearing brood evident by dark brown cappings, signs of hive beetles or moths in a few hives, evident by larva poo and dead hive beetles. :-( A few hives were bringing in bright orange pollen. I weighed the hives, depending on size they consumed anywhere from 5-15% in 2 months. They will pick up the pace closer to february.

Check out Kentuckiana Beekeepers Association on Facebook or our webpage. We have monthly meetings and field days during warm months. The state apariast usually comes once a year and speaks about what hes seeing across the state. Former state apariast Phil Craft has spoken last 2 years. I may host a field day in the spring....they are alot of fun. Oldham county also has a club, but never been.

What r u seeing?

Happy new years

Thanks for the reply! I am a member in Oldham County. But I will def find KBA on fb.

I usually don't get in either, but I may take a quick peek tomorrow, since they are saying sunny/55. Last winter I lost a hive in the first week of January due to starvation so it has me a bit edgy. How many hives do you have? I have four.

Where are they getting pollen this time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieWoosley View Post
    Where are they getting pollen this time of year?
    My guess is dandelion. Pretty crazy after snow, freezing rain and earlier this month. They bring in small amounts of pollen in quite often when nothing is "suppose" to be blooming in winter, especially in late winter early spring...one of the advantages of urban beekeeping, warmer microclimates, i guess. Most of the flying bees are just cleansing, i didn't observe any bees returning with pollen, but a few bright orange chunks had fallen onto the inspection board. There are a few greenhouses and hoop houses nearby, who knows.

I wouldn't break the propolis seals if you don't have to tomorrow will still be a little cool. If possible try to find a hanging spring or digital scale with around 100lb capacity, 50lb would probably be good enough since the scale only sees half the total hive weight. Attach it to bottom board with a c-clamp or hook and weigh.

If weighing sides, weigh both sides and add together, subtract equipment weight
    If weighing back (kelley landing board 3-4 inches) multiply by 1.76, subtract equipment weight

Kelley Hive Stack w/ wooden frames, bottom board, inner cover, plastic outer (lb)(All pine)
    1 Deep 28.4
    2 Deep 44.1
    1 Deep 1 Shallow 37.5
    2 Deep 1 Shallow 53.2
    2 Deep 2 Shallow 62.3
    6-Frame Nuc 14.9

Item lb
    SBB + Reducer 4.5
    Inner Cover 2.5
    Plastic Top Cover 5.8
    Deep Box 7.3
    Shallow Box 4.0
    Nuc 6 9.8
    Deep Frame 0.8
    Shallow Frame 0.6

Just across the river here in Evansville we have had bees flying yesterday. Not many, but a few. Had plenty of them before the deepfreeze a couple weeks ago.

Hive is still very heavy, and there were a huge number of dead hive beetles on the sticky board yesterday. More than last time, hope we have another hard cold snap and kill off even more!

There are usually dandelions in bloom here and there this time of year when the weather has been warm for a couple days, at least enough to thaw the soil, and warm protected spots like along the foundations of heated buildings can harbor dandelions and other hardy plants in bloom. Bees will find them if they are there.

Peter