Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If its in the 30s you can just open the outer (telescopic) cover and look through the hole of the inner cover. They should be fine if you don't keep it open too long.

Jorge

Question

hello,everyone. Temp, reached the 60's today here in ala,so I feed & rev, my bees today,the past few weeks it has been as low as 3degrees,they all seemed normal for this time of year.except one hive & that is where I need some help.they are in a brood box & 1 super,& both boxs are busting over with bees,just like it's spring & ready to swarm.should I leave them alone or what ? It's 2 month's till there is much of anything for them to work.If they are crowded will they swarm this time of year? please help, thank's Mark

If you're in Alabama, I wouldn't be afraid to add a box. Even further north, if the hive is overflowing give them some room. If you have a box half full of honey, it might be better.

Yesterday the temp hit 65 here in central Kentucky - clear skys and little or no wind. Bee's were flying everwhere! Several of us took the opportunity after church to get together and open up our hives have a look see. Everything looked great with the exception of one hive where the bees had emptied the left side of the hive (bottom & top) and were now centered on the right side of the hive. Our guess is that the hive recieves more sun on the empty side and that may have influenced the pattern of honey depletion.

Unfortunately the temps will be back down to the upper twenties and mid thirties by Wednesday and the over night lows will be back down into the teens. It looks like Spring is just around the corner - it's going to be a long six weeks!

Living in southern USA does have it's perks. We're still in the tundra in N. Iowa It'll be another month yet, if then before we dare open any hives. The bees are very quiet up here. Sometime towards the middle to end of March we'll start hearing them. Until them we hope we have given them a heavy enough blanket and lots of honey. I've ordered 6 nucs and can't get them until 1st of May. Kind of anxious to see how all the new SSB and other things I've made for the new hives. Darrell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12