I just got home from my second beekeeping club meeting. I joined the club last month and it cost me $12 for the first years dues. At that first meeting one of the members gave me a smoker that needed a minor repair. Five minutes and two pop rivets later I had a perfectly usable smoker. I figured that by itself was worth the price of the dues that I paid.
    Tonight I won the first door prize; $25 gift certificate from the local bee supply store. Man, this is great! I recommend that everybody join their local beekeeping club.
    Oh yeah, I got a lot of good info and am meeting folks who will really be able to help me be a better beekeeper.
    George

Actually all my local area beekeepers think I am crazy for trying to keep bees they way I do. They are interested in how things come along but have no advice for me at all.

4 things I have going against me.

TBHs - Most have never even heard of a TBH let alone believe the bees can survive and thrive in one.

Small Cell / Natural Cell - same as above and a disbelief that bees can build comb i na foundationless hive (I am slightly exaggerating, but only slightly)

Chem Free - A disbelief that I will be able to manage pests and diseases without them.

Foundationless - an extension of natural cell above. They don't think the bees will build the comb right.

So as far as a club goes? I have one, our club on the internet here. Beesource and the Biological and FLorida Beekeeping yahoo groups. That's uhm about it as far as support goes. No one here really has any input except to disparaige any little info they do know about these practices.

We'll see though....

------------------
    Scot Mc Pherson
    "Linux is a Journey, not a Guided Tour" ~ Me
    "Do or not do, there is no try" ~ Master Yoda
    BeeSourceFAQ: http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/beewiki/

It seems to be an uphill battle against "Conventional Wisdom." I have not used Apistan or checkmite and I continually get admonitions that my bees are going to die. Well, so be it. I'll repopulate with bees that are more mite-resitant, hoping to have a strain of bees that can live with a % of infestation. I suppose if I had a bunch of hives, I'd think differently. It's paradoxical that a hobby/business that is so filled with "individualists" can have such a culture of "sameness."

I still think no matter what treatments you use (including Apistan and Check-mite) if you don't monitor your V mites then sooner or later you will lose your bees. I've had Apistan resistant mites already, so it seems silly to me, to assume that now that I don't use Apistan I'm taking a bigger risk. NOW I'm monitoring the mite levels. Then I thought I didn't have to.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited March 12, 2004).]

The closest thing to a local club is our state beekeepers association they are mostly located in the northern part of the state and I am in the southern, no local club as yet but there are several keepers within a 30 min drive and betterbee is only 1 1/2 hrs away. I have learned more on this site than anyone close by even cares to think about. Most work on a best guess basis and have started asking me for advise and help, Iv'e only been at this four years and am still cautious when working the bees for fear of doing something wrong. This forum is the best learning tool I have found.

This Forum is great but it is still better to talk to some one face to face.

I am blessed by having a mentor that has been at it for over 50 years and is open to new ideas and chemical free Beekeeping, but will clean up a AFB hive with tera. as last result.

If there isn`t a local Club START one some of the state clubs will help in this aera.

Edward Rice ( president )
    North West Indiana Beekeepers Assoc.

I think it is good to get as much information from as many sources as possible. Clubs, books, mentors, and these forums are all excellent ways of increasing ones knowledge.

I monitor mites in my colonies. If mites counts are high, I reluctantly treat for them. If other beekeepers do not treat mite infestation, that is the choice they make for their reasons. I don't think either way is necessarily wrong.

According to Darwin, one thing is for sure. The bees will eventually find a way to survive the mites, or the mites will find a way to not kill the bees. If the mites continue to kill the bees, the mites will be just as dead as their host.

If Scott's club just bashes him for his management practices, perhaps he should start his own local club.

Sometimes we need to think about what we can add to our local club and not what we can take from it.

[This message has been edited by bill holmes (edited March 12, 2004).]

jfischer Guest

Local associations are well worth joining.

Yes, any group can develop a bad case
    of "groupthink dogma", and may try to
    "help" you in seeing "the error of your
    ways", but this is nothing but an honest
    attempt to help what they might assume to
    be a "new" beekeeper.

Regardless, a local association is the
    only way to compare notes with others
    who share weather and climate highly
    similar to your own. If nothing else,
    the massive impact of weather and local
    climate on beekeeping makes attending
    local association meetings a very good idea.

Wish I had a beekeeping club in my area. I only know of one keeper in a 20 mile radius. I'm sure there's more, but don't know any of them. HJow would you go about starting a club? I'm only 14, so I'd would need some help from my mentor.

beekeeper39,
    call your county Extension Service office and ask them for any local information. http://www.extension.umn.edu/offices/ They may be able to suggest other beekeepers in your area.
    George

beekeeper, not sure where you are in Minnesota. I'm in Bemidji, and our local club has a meeting this coming Saturday(20th). We have roughly 25 or so that attend. Many have been keeping bees for 25+ years, so some good knowledge can be gained. Steve

Wink

Coyote

I agree it is habbit forming this will bee my fourth year and am the president and puting out the news letter.

The only door prize I ever won was at a State meeting 4 years ago, the Prize was a nice smoker that I have never lit ( use it for demonstrations at schools ect.) so BEE careful lol.

I wonder how I could find out about a Beekeeping club in my area of N Calif (90 mi N of Sacto and Schwarzenegger)
    --Ðøug ™ 2004.3.20.17.33.05 PT

Try doing a GOOGLE search for Beekeeping clubs in northern Calif. Dale