Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My hubby had promised a photo of our bee setup and I'm trying to accommodate that with this web page, but I can't get the picture to show - or maybe I can. Will some of you check this and let me know if the page shows? Our bee setup so far!
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

Do you mean the one of the guy in the bee suit with his hands on two green hives?
    No, it didn't come through. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Yes, you did a fine job. Nice looking site.

That is nothing short of frightening!!!

Wink

Was expecting to hear some scary music when I opened the web page , Thought I saw the YETI . Looking real nice, [img]smile.gif[/img]
    \"ONLY WHEN THE LAST RIVER HAS BEEN DRIED UP<br />THE LAST TREE BEEN CUT DOWN<br />THE LAST WILD FISH CAUGHT<br />WILL MAN REALIZE YOU CAN\'T EAT MONEY\"<br />GHANDI (?)

You sure those hive stands are rugged enough? Hives can get pretty heavy what with all the honey and bees in them, I don't know if that stack of cement paving stones is really sufficient to hold up the load...

Hey any start with a web site, or bees, is a good start [img]smile.gif[/img]

George-
    Dulcius ex asperis

you know, actually it's probably worth pointing out that that stack of cement paving stones is pretty tall and if you have a good honey crop the boxes are going to get way up there
    personally, I don't care much for ladders [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dave

Dave, 16 inches is equal to two cement blocks. It is also what is recommended in skunk country, which I think ma. is. They are right on the money, height wise for where they are.

hmm, no skunks around here, good point

Dave

Hi Ann,

Once there are some bees in there, your hubby should consider some protective clothing [img]smile.gif[/img] My hives are in a place where I can't go out looking like that. The neighbors might call homeland security. If I want to wear a veil I have to fake a wedding.

Love the green paint!
    Best,
    Tom

&gt;The neighbors might call homeland security.

Just tell `em you ARE Homeland Security [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Dulcius ex asperis

dave, yall ain't got no skunks? hard to believe! (not even in the state house?)

When I looked the base there is a big danger that hive falls down. And if you have bad luck it falls against another hive [img]smile.gif[/img]

Base is too high because hives rises too much. 10 ich base is enough.

Big hive will be heavy: 200-300 lbs.

Great, the page is working!

To answer all concerns: Those blocks are interlocked, the platforms are rock steady. We do have skunks around here, lots of them, actually, I'll see them in the early morning when I go out for my walk, thus the height, 16" high. Hubby is a big guy, 6'4", so we can handle the height, and we can only hope to stack them so high!

As far as the bee suits go, our yard is long and deep. The bees (already in the hives, poor girls, it has been cold and damp since the install) are way down back, and our neighbors on either side know what we're doing - although a woman was walking by when we were going back into the house staring at us both in our bee suits She'll get over it!

We actually have two more platforms behind those, in the woods a bit, that get fairly good morning sun, we may put two more back there just for kicks. We'll have to do more than platforms for the hives we want to place at our house in Maine, there's bigger beasts to worry about up there than skunks!
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

FordGuy

weasels, we got weasels in the state house

Dave

&gt;&gt;&gt;FordGuy
    weasels, we got weasels in the state house &lt;&lt;&lt;

Yeah, we sent the skunks one state south...
    [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Ann, It looks like you have it well in hand.

I could see the picture on the opening page, but not the ones about your new bees. I just get big white boxes with titles and little red x's in the upper left corner of each big box.

Gosh, I am so technical huh?

martha
    Martha

Same with me. Maybe it's a filter issue.

[size="1"][ April 24, 2006, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: buz ][/size]
    BBZZZZZ

I know, Martha, I'm about as technical when it comes to web pages! I've never done them before, I'm sure the pictures are pointed to my hard drive instead of to the folder on my site. I'm going to try to fix them up right now.

Edited to say I think I've got it fixed. Let me know, if you all don't mind! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ April 24, 2006, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Ann ][/size]
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

Finman- ONLY 200-300 pounds, thats only 2 full deeps, I was thinking more like 900-1000 with full supers. In my yard I'm getting ready to raise my hives to 23" with 2 deeps and 3 shallows, it should work out to just about shoulder height, my back give me problems when I work my boxes (brood) if I bend over to long, the way they are now they are only raised about 8" to the bottom board.
    Those stepping blocks will probably be just fine, but I'm no expert, use what works for you.
    They look like a good set up, watch for tilting though, moles and gophers can raise havoc under flat surfaces, the same with Voles and any other burrowing critter.
    Ann-are you using screened bottom boards? That will help with moisture concerns, you'd probably have to put a 2x4 under the bottom board, front and back, or along the long side, though, to get the air flow. Just an idea for you.
    One day I'll get to figure out how to do a web-page .

[size="1"][ April 24, 2006, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: SilverFox ][/size]
    \"ONLY WHEN THE LAST RIVER HAS BEEN DRIED UP<br />THE LAST TREE BEEN CUT DOWN<br />THE LAST WILD FISH CAUGHT<br />WILL MAN REALIZE YOU CAN\'T EAT MONEY\"<br />GHANDI (?)

Yes, Silverfox, we're using IPM bottom boards, I'll tell hubby we need to raise them up a bit. I'll add more pictures as things progress - if we ever get a break in this horrible weather! It's supposed to warm up tomorrow.
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek