Hey guys. I was calling all of the local exterminators in the yellow pages to give them my number for swarms. Most said that they won't have anything to do with honey bees. That's what I expected them to say. Others, however, said things like "oh, no thanks, we exterminate honey bees". I thought there were laws of some sort against exterminating them... something to do with the feral population being endangered. Did I make this up?
    Central IL... where there are more hogs than people and more soybeans than hogs and people put together.

If they exterminate them I would try to get them to keep your number anyway, I've found a lot of people know that bees are "good" and won't let an exterminator kill them. Then you get called.

Questions to ask on the phone before wasting gas:

Are they living underground?
    Have they built a paper nest?
    Has anyone tried killing them? If so, how?

Expect to hear "I know what bees look like! These are bees!" and then find some kind of wasps

yeah, most often yellow jackets. The ones who DO exterminate don't want my number because then they don't get paid. Greedy morons if you ask me.
    Central IL... where there are more hogs than people and more soybeans than hogs and people put together.

<<The ones who DO exterminate don't want my number because then they don't get paid.>>

Yep. A lady two blocks down the street talked to every exterminator in the book last summer and got "We'll be happy to come and take care of 'em..." from all of them. She refused, and just left the swarm alone (in her tomatoes!), and was talking about it at work a few days later when she got word of me

I second Dcross's advice. I don't know how many times I've found they have sprayed them with raid (when they were bees) or they are yellow jackets.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If(when) you go get them, be loaded for bear. I don't know how many time i've heard, "It is a swarm." "Is it a swarm or a hive" (explaining the difference). "No, it's a swarm." You get there and lo and behold it's a hive and you don't have the right equipment and you have to come back later.

Yes. Terminology is important. To a non-beekeeper everything is a swarm. After all there are lots of insects flying and that's what a swarm is, right?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Ive got a few bee calls in the past that turn out to be wasp calls.. bummer! however most people would pay me to go ahead and raid their problem since im there anyways