Thread: Selling Honey

Anyone know how a small time bee keeper can sell honey. Where does he/she go? I's talking like for a keeper who makes about 1,000lb/year? What does it take to sell this and what do I have to do to prepare it for sale?

Re selling honey: I've found that I'm building up a customer base slowly but steadily. I work for a fairly large company that lets us post sale messages on the company bulletin board. This works as a great way to get the message out. Once people know you have a quality product they remember you. I also contacted a local gas station/convience store that I patronize. The manager started with a dozen of the one pound jars which she placed by the registers. Usually sells within 2-3 weeks and she takes another dozen. People walk in , see the honey and buy on impulse. This has worked well for me. If you live on a main road a simple sign by your mailbox might help a lot. Hope this has helped. Good luck.

Little neighborhood grocery stores and health food stores sometimes will sell honey for you. You can get a stall at a farmers market, but it's hard to pay for the stall with just honey. Friends and neighbors sometimes will buy.

I had this problem a couple of years ago. Too much honey and no where to get rid of it.
    I posted 10 auctions on Bidway, under the bidway bucks listing and now I have direct customers all over the country. One gets anywhere from 10 jars to 50 jars at the time.
    If you place in local stores, remember to place your phone number on your labels. This will give the consumer the chance to cut out the middle man.
    I got real lucky year before last and ordered a pizza from our local delevery. It turned out that the middle eastern delevery guy couldn't find honey that was not heated and is now a regular customer that orders for all of his family. This sells me another 100 or so jars a week.
    This was all because I ordered a pizza and hadn't moved some of my beekeeping supplies off the front porch yet.
    There are many ways to get the word out. Just a sign out in front of your house works well too.

Check out the local farmer's market. Some pay better then others. I market at a small local one, and my honey doesn't pay for the booth, but I do it as part of my other job. Maybe you could find a vendor there to share a booth with.
    As far as what is necessary to sell it, check first with your dept. of ag. I think each state is different. In MN, honey is treated like other ag products, and there are specicific labeling requirements, (and the apiary must be registered) but little else. If I wanted to make and sell creamed honey, however, legally I would need to prepare it in a food service approved (licensed) kitchen. I do know another beekeeper who sells his creamed honey from his home, but he's not marketing it retail.

I have been told that the Muslum and Hindu religions use Honey in their ceromonys. Might be another possibility.

Cool

I am another small time beekeeper. I have purchased bottles from a distributer and labels from Betterbee. I bottle at home. I sell 12oz honeybears, 1lb, 2lb, and 5lb jars. I make candles and also purchase more from a friend who is a larger beekeeper. I have gone to a few local farm markets and stores and sell wholesale to them. I have a large "Local Honey" following of customers that have built up over the past five years. I also sell honey and beeswax products at retail at a few craft shows and local events. I had to register with the state and the local town to be a small business.

I build up a customer base during the last 8 years and sell all my honey private. Last year I sold approx 6200 lb. and I hope I have the 10% increase this year again. The wholesalers paying only up to 2.50 US/Euro and the price for the consumer is approx 4-5 US/Euro depends on what sort of honey it is.

Happy Easter
    Alfred