Jason G in Tennessee Guest

I was just curious of how far the Small Hive Beetle (SHB) has progressed in its travel in our country so far. Last year I heard they were coming. This Summer I found some in a local feral colony and This fall found another feral beegum that I brought home and saw the larvae crawling out and burrowing into the ground at the base of the gum section. Who else has had SHB? Any north of here? I live in Clarksville about 45 min north of Nashville.
    Jason G

[This message has been edited by Jason G in Tennessee (edited December 02, 2004).]

We have SHB in Michigan. They have been here for 2 years but I have not seen much damage from them.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan
    Beekeeping sence 1964

We have them here in the Mobile, AL area (gulf coast). I have had them in my colonies and saw them in two colonies that I removed from walls this year.

------------------
    Rob Koss

They are in Ky. Discovered two years ago in both places next or close to rest areas along I75 interstate. Probably came from semi load going north. Also found in western ky. i first moved bees to Fl four yrs ago and didnt see any (dry year). Ive picked them up the last two years. Only problem is you need to extract quickly once honey is removed from hive. Dont seem to bother stored empty comb. You can use beetle trap dadant has and put on one to two colonies in yard and bascialy whipe out 99% in two weeks. Rick

Talkt to a gal here in estevan sask.,says thy are in there hives in ontario.Don't sound good

Hi there. One of the beekeepers here in northern indiana had them. It seems that they aren't any more of a problem than wax moth.

Cool

SHB are in NC - I've seen a few over the past 2 years. Bees seem to deal with them without any help.