Today I saw three varroa mites waiting on some drone comb to hitch a ride on a passing bee. I touched one and it ran. I had no idea that those little buggers could move so fast! From looking at close-up photos of their leg arrangement you'd think they would be slow. Not so!

I started using the Dowda method and we'll see how that works for me.

I took 90 pounds of honey from two hives, more to come off later.

Ron
    Butterchurn<br /><br />Diplomacy is the art of saying \'Nice doggie\' until you can find a rock. <br /><br />Will Rogers

I found one the other day on a drone larvae from a feral colony I removed. & noticed it was pretty fast, but not fast enough,...Squoosh

They are very fast when they move. They are like squirrels. They have two speeds. Stopped and running like heck.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

You should hold mite races. You could glue little numbers to them and put them in a circle. If people can race camels and fly-powered model airplanes.....

Hey Aspera,

Great idea. Now wouldnlt that be fun. I could take bets and buy more bee equipment!

Ron
    Butterchurn<br /><br />Diplomacy is the art of saying \'Nice doggie\' until you can find a rock. <br /><br />Will Rogers

They are good jumpers too!

Dickm

What? fast and good jumpers?

Are you sure you don't have fleas in your bees? I've never got my mites to do much of anything but crawl away at a snails pace. Of course, those are on the insert under my SBB's, and maybe they lose all their energy there like superman and kryptonite. My mites are so lazy they won't even walk off the plastic insert... I used to spray Pam around the edges, but not necessary... Why do people even use sticky boards- the mites just set there waiting for a bee to latch onto (which, of course, will never happen).