Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: food ?

>I'm only speculating here but it may be due to the smaller size of the bees that the third deeps are filled with honey. Maybe the bees can exploit different flowers and plants that they were unable to utilize before on larger cell sizing. Allowing the bees to stay heavy enough to winter in a bad year. Maybe???

Maybe this is part of the reason we see the subcastes in a natural comb hive. Both small and large bees have more potential to find more nectar sources?

Question

I read through this forum, and had a few questions. I started feeding my bees on Saturday. I live in Southwest Oklahoma, and it won't frost until around September or October. The bees drank 1 gallon of sugar water w/in 3 days, so I fed them more. The problem is that their second brood chamber has not filled out all the wax foundation (new hive this year, like about 3 frames in each hive, also the first set of packages arrived dead so didn't get the wild plum or much blackberry pollination), and therefore there is little honey for winter stores. How long do you feed the sugar water? Also, there is alfalfa blooming, along with other weeds, but we haven't had but around 10.5" of rain since January...drought is killing us and the weeds aren't even blooming well. Will the bees be able to finish storing food for the winter?

------------------

>The problem is that their second brood chamber has not filled out all the wax foundation (new hive this year, like about 3 frames in each hive,

If you mean that there is only three frames drawn and filled in each of the bottom and top deep brood boxes you need to rearrange your frames.

Take the top brood off and remove the undrawn frames in the bottom box and install the drawn frames from the top box into the lower one. Put the brood in the center and the stores on the outside.

Don't put the second brood on until the lower is at least 80% drawn and covered with bees.

If I misunderstood, well, nevermind.

By all means keep the beed bag on until next spring, just change the mixture from 1 to 1 to a thicker 2 to one in October.

No, the bottom hive body is totally drawn out. It is the top (on a 2 hive body bee colony) that has about 6 frames of foundation drawn out. The other 3 or 4 they are working on, but haven't fully drawn them yet.

------------------

Just keep feeding, they will consume a lot of sugar to build out the comb. They will also store some of the sugar in the comb just as though it was honey. Not nearly as good for them though. Check out Dee Lusby's comments on this web site about feeding, good information.

It's almost mid august, and I'd like to see more drawn comb here and there. Should I keep 1 1 mixture or should I start the 2 1 mixture and take what comb I have and be happy with it?

I worry too much about the bees stores....

Can they draw comb on 2 1 mixture?

I only feed 1:1 when I want to stimulate. They will draw a lot more comb on 2:1.