Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think *IF* I wanted a five frame brood nest, I'd use a divider in a 10 frame box just to make it stable so it doesn't fall over.

I have to agree with the nastier-the-better thinking. AHB's haven't died out from mites, and some beekeepers in Arizona prefer them because they produce more honey. My experience has been the meaner the better. Just like dogs, bees have been bred for certain characteristics over the years (e.g.-docile). I prefer Russians because mother nature did their breeding- they're aggresive enough to fend off the mites, and winter well. I haven't treated my russians in 4 years and still no deaths from mites, but it may have as much to do with using Pierco frames as the russians. Much fewer drones are made on Piercos which keep the mite population in check (drone cells make 2 or 3 times as many mites as workers).

coyote,

I'll be sure to forward your request. However, I’ve been trying to get Bob to invite me to help him in his apiary without much success. However, with his bees, I might need to upgrade to one of those fancy $200 bee suits

now someone correct me if i'm wrong,but CORDOVANS are bees that have a particular color trait,any type of bee can have a cordovan because it is a genetic trait,that's what cordovan refers to isn't it?

Yes that is what they say.BUT,there seems to be a definite link to other traits IMHO .I realize this isnt what the breeders claim,just my observations.The main trait I have noticed is the tendency to turn every drop of honey into brood.Others have noticed this trait also.This can be good or bad depending on your needs.But I have never seen a conservative cordovan.I know it was used as a marker by scientists doing bee research,and I wonder what the other characteristics of those bees were.

loggermike,

I appreciate your inputs. Your comments actually make me feel slightly better about my decision to go all Cordovans. Being just a hobbyist with only three hives, would you think that it would be wise for me to try to maintain more than a single breed of bee in my bee yard? I keep my bees at my home; so aggressive behavior cannot be accommodated.

Thanks again for your comments.

Well,I like a mix of bees.I figure every season is different and if I keep a variety,at least some will have the right genetic traits to make a crop.So...there are Carns and Italians,and all sorts of inbetween, dare I say mongrels,but I love them all (except the rare mean ones).In general,I think a good Italian bee is hard to beat for all around good performance.I put bees VERY close to people at times so a well behaved bee is a must.When I get done working a yard of 30 or 40 hives I want to walk to my pickup without a cloud of followers .Mean bees are a REAL liability and you were smart to get rid of them.