Got my BeeCulture Mag. today and it had an interesting article in it about using the seed heads from Stag Horn Shumack in the smoker to knock the varroa mites off. Has anyone else used the seed heads in thier smoker and monitored the mite drop? I have used the seed heads before but had no idea that it would knock the mites off. Might be another step in the right direction in controling the mights. What's your opinion on this?

I tried tobacco in the smoker for the mites and asphyxiated a lot of bees. Probably some mites too, but I didn't notice a big difference.

Exclamation

I read the same article. I think it would be worth trying it out. Think every time you go in to take a look at the hive your using the sumac seed and in effect helping the bees remove the mites. I do have a question for the writers though, how were the bees affected. Like MB said I have also tried tobacco and it did cause some problems, with me it was the loss of the queen.
    Dan

Greetings . . .

Of course, two questions come to mind:
    1) Is it "food-safe"?
    2) How does it affect the BEES?

------------------
    Dave W . . .

Hobbyist - 1 Hive
    First Package - Apr 03
    Broodnest - 3 Deeps
    Screened Bottom Board
    Apistan - Aug 18, 03
    Grease Patties - All year
    2003/04 Winter Loss - 0%
    See Forum1/HTML/001304, for ongoing mite counts.

Mites aside, I know a lot of people like sumac for smoker fuel anyway. So I assume they have not seen any ill effects.

I have used sumac in the past but started again after reading the artical. I have never had problems with it. It smells great and the old timers used to put it in their pipes and smoke it as well.