Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Caveat: I'm a complete newbee. No bees until spring but am reading like crazy and have learned a lot here. So here's the thing.

</font>
    • I've read that AFB has a distinctive smell.</font>
    • Dogs can be trained to find drugs, bombs, people (dead or alive), skin tumors, and even mercury.</font>

You see where I'm going. It seems to me that it might be possible to train a "bee dog". It would only be practical for large operations or state inspectors. (Unless there was demand for traveling bee dog outfits. hmm.)

Heading off your first objection: The dog would get stung. So you select a breed with a good nose and a thick coat. A veil could be fashioned to protect his muzzle. I've seen people walking dogs that were wearing goofy costumes, even sun glasses. A veil shouldn't be too much of a stretch. After a field trial, it might turn out that the south end of the animal needs some protection too.

If this is not a dumb idea, and I'm the first to present it, please name the first bee dog "Tom" [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now if I could just get my fishing dog to stop finding carp.

Best,
    Tom

[size="1"][ December 19, 2005, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: TRC ][/size]
    <a href=\"http://beenews.blogspot.com\" target=\"_blank\">Bee News</a>

While you are teaching him to locate AFB, why not train it to locate morel mushrooms in the spring? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Tom -keep up the creative thinking. I love the idea!
    Todd Zeiner

Hey Todd Zeiner--nice to know another shroomer!
    Hey TRC-is your dog finding Carp with or without mercury?
    If pigs can find truffle mushroom corms there is absolutely no reason the ol hound dog can not find a few morels.
    Sounds feasible to me and if I can train my old hound to "point" out morels I will change its name from "socks" to "Tom". Keep thinking!
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

That makes 3 shroomers here so far. Shaggy manes are one of my favorites, and I don't need a dog. I can spot them from the freeway. Same thing with puff balls. The trick with those is to get to them before a kid does. Kids see "kick me".

Best,
    Tom

There is a man in Maryland who has already done this. I've talked with a local beekeeper here who breeds and trains German Shepherds and advises it would easy to do. The problem I see is would have to be at night as the bees are on my Aussy when she's even near the outyards. I'd be there'd be a market for the service, especially in big operations. We'd be able to pick it up well before it developed into a serious problem.

[size="1"][ December 19, 2005, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Joel ][/size]

Not bad. i have trained Police and narc dogs. BTW, an explosive dog is taught to place his nose close the the object then sit. no touching for obvious reasons. Probably the same thing for AFB.

Walk him down between the rows at night. he can check side to side. when he sits, mark that hive, give him a treat and go on to the next. Work only at night and pick up $100 per hour for it.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Hi Joel,

I googled like crazy and couldn't find the guy in Maryland. Could you please send a reference?

Best,
    Tom

The dog they used for years I beleive died several years ago. I attended Maryland meetings from time to time a few years back and met the dog. I believe it was a yeallow lab or a golden. The dog at that time was like 10 years or older. Maryland beekeepers used the dog for years.
    I had heard that they were training another dog but that was as of two or more years ago.

I do not have any of the Maryland meeting minutes at hand at the moment, but I would think contacting the Marylamd state association or the state inspector, would start you in the right direct for information or for questions.

The dog worked daytime and would simply sniff the back of each hive. The dog had no problems with the bees and was very good.

the first time you run into a seriously affect afb hive, unless you are insulin dependent then your nose will do just fine...

mrs tecumseh is doing a bit of dog training and from our conversation I do suspect that you could train a dog to locate just about anything that smells. tecumseh like to inform folks that the advantage that a dog has over a person is that a dog smells in color.

the first time you run into a seriously affect afb hive, unless you are insulin dependent then your nose will do just fine...

mrs tecumseh is doing a bit of dog training and from our conversation I do suspect that you could train a dog to locate just about anything that smells. tecumseh like to inform folks that the advantage that a dog has over a person is that a dog smells in color.

&gt; I googled like crazy and couldn't find the guy
    &gt; in Maryland. Could you please send a reference?

Bill Troup, and his wife Nancy, who often appear
    on the program at bee meetings in the Mid-Atlantic
    states.

10618 Honeyfield Rd
    Williamsport, MD 21795
    301-223-9662, 240-217-9662
    E-mail: beestroup@erols.com

I'd heard of this years ago. I often wondered why no one went further with it.

Dickm

[size="1"][ December 20, 2005, 06:49 AM: Message edited by: dickm ][/size]

I think the idea is very doo-able. I also think any dog who's shown a good nose could be trained. Our golden dug up shrooms in France (unfortunatly, not truffles) and our flatcoat locates varmints by smell under the snow and catches them. Wonder if I could train one of the rescued potbellied pigs?

My favorites are the morels.
    Buy locally, buy only humanely raised animals, eat in season, keep bees!

That's a really neat idea! But would you have to get something with the AFB smell on it? Or have to get your own hive of AFB to teach the dog what's right and wrong? Yikes LOL
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by...

Thanks Jim for posting the info. Bjorn is right the dog was a yellow lab and was getting old when I became aware of this several year ago.

Thanks all for the follow ups. I figured if it was a really good idea, someone would have done it.

Yes. To train the dog you would need some AFB. I imagine that an infected frame could be marinated in peroxide or something to defuse it.

You would also need to use the sample now and then while working the dog. He needs a "win" now and then to keep his interest. Every now and then you hear that the police made a sweep of a building, and left a small amount of drugs or explosive behind by mistake. The dogs were supposed to find it and get an attaboy. Imagine breaking that bit of news to your boss at headquarters

Best,
    Tom

Actually if you use a frame that is free of honey and keep it bagged except for the scent record training protocol you won't have any interest from the bees. Why not do it in the off season when the bees are not active.

Hi Joel,

Chalk it up to my ignorance concerning AFB. If spores are the transmission vector, a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide should murder them. Then again it might be a virus. Peroxide may be somewhat less effective then.

Good point about training in the off season. I didn't think of working the dogs at night either. Duh!

Best,
    Tom

"American foulbrood spores are highly-resistant to desiccation, heat, and chemical disinfectants. These spores can remain virulent for more than forty years in combs and honey."

http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/pest&disease/slide10.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

At one time, I thought I could train my chocolate lab to find morels. That didn't work. Then I tried to train him to find shed deer antlers. That didn't work either. He was really good at finding goose poop down at the pond and eating it...