Thread: Beavers???

Hybrid View

Ok, now that your reading this, I really don't have a problem with beavers. But something (groundhogs I think) is chewing my hives I have at a remote site. They have an inch taken off two different hives to the point they almost have it through on the corners.

Is there something to spray, brush, or coat to keep this from happening? I'm thinking fox urine, or hairspray or something else. Anyone have a suggestion?? Thank-You!

...skunks?

I wouldn't put out any fox urine...this is usually used as a lure, and I don't think ya want to do that!

Go to a horse store and buy "No Chew". If you can't find that go to the chinese grocery store and buy "Hot Oil" and put that on it.

Thumbs down

NOT fox urine. Just a week ago I set a trap for a chicken theif red fox using fox urine for bait. First afternoon I cought a ground hog. People urin would be more effective.
    We have lot of trouble with skunks. I keep a box trap set by the hives. When I catch a coon or skunk I put a little grey pelet in their ear and I have no more trouble from them. Box trap so I can let pets loose unharmed.

------------------
    Erwin

I forgot to add. If it is skunks you should find scratching in the ground, in front of the hive.

porcupines chew wood,don't know if you have any in those parts.

I'm not sure what it is but there are no scraps at the front of the hives. I will try the farm and country store for the "no chew". I have no problems with the 22 method but occasionally my wife rides along. Needless to say, she hates to do anything other than make them pets.
    Thanks for the help.

I'm thinking groundhog because the only thing keeping them from chewing all the way through are the nails.

Big Grin

Try taking red hot pepper powder or the peppers themselves and soaking them in a jug of vegtable oil for about a week. Then brush on the hive.Skunks and ground hogs in my area tend to carry rabies from time to time,so if you decide to dispatch it with the ole .22,take the heart-lung shot.Because the rabies virus lives in the brain fluid,and when you pop "em" in the head the virus could go airborne.

Wink

If you get him in a box trap you could give him a swimming lesson while still in the trap. If a skunk leave him under water a long long time. I don't know how they do it but they take a long time to drown.

------------------
    Erwin