This is the 2nd season for my 2-medium Permacomb-only hive. I went into it today to feed the bees, and found that the bees had chimneyed up into the 2nd box. The bottom box is 2/3 full of sealed brood with a little honey and pollen. I wish they would spread out a little more. I'm going to super them with two more mediums of PC, and may decided to rearrange some of the sealed brood combs and hope they continue to work it like they have started. There was a lot of bridge comb between the two boxes with lots of drone brood. In general the PC hive, with its two mediums is doing as well as my other 3 hives with 1 deep and 1 medium of wax foundation/comb. My bees are coming on strong and tulip poplar is just budding out here in eastern NC. I'm still feeding 1:1 with Honey-B-Healthy. My 4 nucs are due to be ready for pick-up in a couple of weeks, so I'm building hives and stands this coming week.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

I rearange when I see that. That is a good time to use the checker board method.

And don't scrape that bridge comb off, that's their ladder to the next box up.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

What is checker board method?

Here is a discussion of checker boarding>

http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubb...c;f=2;t=002557
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam