Hybrid View

Hey, folks, I'm going way out here, but I've got an idea. I don't know if anyone is familiar with diatomaceous earth, but it is popular with "organic" type people to treat worms in farm animals as a feed or salt additive, as a dust for chicken mites, and even on garden vegetables. The idea behind it is that it is a physical wormer, it's unique molecular shape cuts up parisitic worm innards resulting in death. It's effectiveness is a matter of opinion for most people, however, a lot of folks believe in it.
    My question is this: Is it possible that bees dusted with the stuff, in the process of grooming themselves could kil attached mites? Or, would it kill bees like mad?
    I'm not willing to try it on my hives!
    Just wondering if anyone, perhaps with a degree in entomology, had thought of that?

diatomaceous earth cuts up your lungs just like fiber glass when you breath it. I wouldn't use it with out a respirater for my own safty.

I think it would be more damaging to the larvae of the bee than to the mite.

I submitted this question once, I think on Bee-L, but I was thinking more along the lines of using it in defense of the small hive beetle. I'm not sure, but I think Dee Lusby said it has been tried already and the results were not that favorable.
    I agree, it would destroy the larvae and possibly the bees. i've read where it cuts the exoskeleton and then the insect dehydrates.
    Denise

Yes DE has already been thought of and tried. The results weren't favorable. It was discussed some time ago on Bee-l.

Clay