Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Our dogs are frequently getting into skunks. One of the local old timers said the best way to get rid of the skunk smell was to shoot the dog and bury him deep. Sounds a little harsh to me.

Might as well put in my 2 cents...lol..My father in law told me years ago that if you were quick enough to get ahold of the skunks tail and get his hind feet off the ground he couldnt spray ...Let me know if ya try this ... I`d like to video it ...Rick

My wife caught a skunk in her live trap yesterday which was meant for the coons that have been doing damage to her bird feeders.
    If you have an old blanket,slowly walk up to the side of the trap and lower the blanket over the trap. Don't throw the blanket from 5 feet away and expect the skunk not to spray! I'd spray too if that happened!
    Now walk around to the otherside and pull the blanket over the rest of the way. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes. In my case, I cleaned the back of the truck out and picked up the trap,blanket and all,carried it over to the truck and slid it in. A two mile ride down the road and he was let go. No problems and no spray! A 22 would have been the preferred method, but since he was so close to the house I didn't want all the spray. A 22 shot to the lungs usually prevents spraying.
    The blanket method works great,slow and easy.
    It really takes a lot to get a skunk to spray!

RAlex ,We had a guy when I was a kid that tried that in his Dads milk parlor . He tried riding thru on his motorcycle and grabbing it by the tail LOL . After his Dad severly abused him he got to wash the place down several times .

Ricko, best check on your wildlife laws as it is illegal to release a skunk in most states due to health issues . A dunk in the creek will have same reults , just like with the blanket slow and easy .

Drifter

"newbee; what do you meam by "7 7 hive"?"

Just a typo, there are 7 hives here at the house and 2 at the family farm. No luck the past 2 days, my goldens learned to flip the trap and eat the bait, which was three day old chicken leg and smoked salmon. They spent the next 6 hours off and on seeing the food again the hard way. Dogs never learn, just like most of us men. If it smells good, we go for it
    Gotta move the trap to outside the invisible fencing, that'll fix 'em.

>but I have a bigger problem porcupine. They leave a very bad mess with me and the dogs, usually about 2 AM. Just what I need, pull out the quills and blood all over the place

That is always a mess.

>plus do something with the body of the porcupine.

I never had trouble getting rid of a procupine. The quills and the gaurd hair are both very popular with my friends and family.

But then I've never shot one. I've also never passed a freshly dead one up on the side of the road.

Porkys not hard to catch in a live trap . Thin their numbers down may help you .

Best bait for a porky is salt .

Drifter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12