Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Drawing combs from the bottom up

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Scot Mc Pherson 
#1 ·
Just checked on one of my hives on foundationless frames. I just threw a box of empty foundationless frames on top on Saturday. Checked them today and the bees are buidling combs from the bottom bar up. And not very straight, I might add. I've never had them do this with foundationless frames or with starter strips before. Has anyone seen this before?

I pulled the frames and put two frames of brood in the box to bait the bees up to hang on the top bars and replaced them with new foundationless frames. I'll scrape down the messed up ones later and put them back in. Luckily there wasn't any brood in it and not much honey.

G
#4 ·
I have never used foundationless frames, but I have seen bees build comb from the bottom up when there is a good flow going and they run out of foundation, and they have room above. Almost like they don't want to leave the main hive to go up and start new comb.

Do you think if you put the foundationless frames under the establisted frames they may draw it better? (bottom supering)

BB

#5 ·
Maybe they would draw it better below. I don't know. I just baited it up with a couple of drawn combs.

I have one hive with just top bars and only one bar has a starter strip and the rest are just flat 3/8" x 1 3/8" boards. Started them in a 5 frame nuc and then moved to a 10 frame box. They have drawn every comb perfectly down the middle of the bars.

I just opened one where I didn't get the frames together well (propolis on the end bars) and they ignored the starter strips and built it over a bit from the middle.

Silly bees or maybe silly human.

#7 ·
If you look at Joe Waggle's feral hive picture, you should note that the hive was built from the bottom up, or at least the honey stores were. If it were built from the top down then almost all of the comb would have been black.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.