I currently have one hive of Italian bees and am planning on splitting it this spring and install a New World Carniolan queen in the second hive. I plan on purchasing yet a third type of bee package this spring. Question: Can all three types of bees be installed in the same yard? If so, any rule on seperation space between hives? I just want to try different types of bees for my own information/knowledge.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

No problems. They will all coexist as peacefully as if they were the same race. That doesn't mean they won't rob each other or have other problems, but it won't be any more than they would have if they were all Italians.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Exclamation

You are playing with fire. If the different types of bees such as Italians and NWC interbreed through superceeding and or swarming you can end up with some very mean bees. They won't be purebred and disaster could very well strike. Your neighbors may take offense. I know mine would. I keep Italian bees and keep my queens as young and gentle as posible for this reason. I replace my queens every year or more if they turn nasty. I would stick with just one race in one location if possible.

Breeding them is a different question. But them getting along is not a problem. [img]smile.gif[/img]

First cross hybrids can be extremely productive, extremely nice or extremely mean. They are hard to predect.

But if you want to try out a bunch of races and see how they do, it's not a problem if they aren't raising queens. In the long run you might want to choose one for the reasons Dan gives.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF