Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NC?

Question

How is everybody's hives in NC doing? Do you think we will have a good spring? Just interested in what everybody else is doing and thinking. Thanks.

So far I have 1 hive die. To small a cluster. I have 1 on the borderline. 1 that I will probably be able to split. Currently I have 6 hives. The plans are to buy 4 nucs. Don't know how good a spring we will have. If we don't get any more real cold weather I think we will be in good shape for the spring.

Starvation is the only cause of hive death I have seen. BAD BEEKEEPER. Hive beetle presence is less than it was.

Not in NC, but close...N Ga Mountains...zero losses so far...too early to predict honey production...just hope it doesn't rain constantly like last year.

BubbaBob

So far, so good. Brought 6 hives into winter, looks like I'll be bringing 6 into the spring. I'm hoping to do some splitting and double our number this year.
    Christina Teague
    Bennett, NC

I lost two out of 28. One loss was expected - bad case of trachael mites. The other was a good hive going into winter but got caught spread too thin covering brood during the last cold snap. All other hives seem strong, bringing in bright yellow pollen (unknow source), early red maple. I'll be starting 1:1 syrup this week.
    Triangle Bees

I enjoy reading all the replies! I have 7 great hives and one that was queenless a week ago. Tons of bees in each with plenty of honey. They have also been bringing in pollen for at least 2 weeks now. About 10 days ago checked them. Actually attempted to make a split into a nuc to limit the population in some of the good hives. Suppose to get around 70 deg. here today so I am going to check and see whats happend. Only problem I imagine might happen is there might not be sufficent warm days for the queen to mate properly. I guess i will find out. Good luck to everyone!

Finished checking all hives this week end. Average loss is at 8%. This is the same as last year so far.
    Overwintered NUC losses averaged 30%. This is normal from the past years. Most NUC's can't make it on 5 frames. "Only the strong survive".
    Its always interesting to find out how others are doing.

Frank Wyatt
    Eden, NC (north of Greensboro)
    wytgrp@netpath-rc.net

Getting back into beekeeping after many years absence. Live near the Kernersville NC area.

Would like to buy an established healthy hive. Anyone know of any for sale in the area?

thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]

riverbee, I would check out the for sale adds here. Also the NC Agriculture Review always has bees/supplies listed. Site below for Feb. 05

http://www.agr.state.nc.us/paffairs/class/2-05bees.htm

riverbee, I live about 12 miles from kernersville. There are 3 people that I know of that you can contact to get bees. The first person lives in kernersville. His name is Brady Mullinax. He may have some hives for sale. His phone number is 993-3667. The scond person is Jim Barnes. He lives in W-S. I buy my nucs from him. If he doesn't have any hives for sale he can tell you who does. His number is 924-9182. The third person is George Settle.He lives in tobaccoville.
    He will probably have some hives for sale. His number is 922-7230. I hope that this will help you out. If these numbers are not correct it is because they were printed wrong in the Forsyth County Beekeepers directory.

I have had good experience with bees from Jim Barnes.

riverbee,
    If you will contact the NC State Agricultural Dept. Apairy section you will be able to download list of suppliers that are approved to sell queens and bees in the State of North Carolina.
    These suppliers have been inspected by the NC inspector or the appropriate States inspection dept., and can provide you with what you need. I am on this list along with several others close to you who can help you.
    Frank Wyatt

Another great day here. Checked a few hives again yesterday. TONS of bees and they are bringing in some serious pollen. On one hive(Deep brood box with medium super) we added another deep brood box. We have never ran 2 deeps so we are going to see how we like it. Today saw some bees on Red Maple and on a weed in the yard that looked like chick weed(tiny white flowers). I hope everybody's bees are doing well also.

Picture of some of our hives.
    http://jnbgcpd.tripod.com/bee/index.album?i=1

(see if it works)

Everyone:

Thanks so much for the warm and helpful replies, will be beekeeping soon!

I have contacted Mr. Settle and will be joining the Forsyth Beekeepers this Saturday for their meeting and covered dish. He has agreed to sell me a hive, I'll get in in April before Poplar flow.

My 2 hives made it through the winter. One seems very strong, the other, which I believe swarmed back in July, is catching up. I run 2 deeps with a med. super for the bees. I'll keep that as my brood chamber, add excluder in a couple of weeks, and add drawn comb mediums on top. I did have bad varroa on both hives, ended up using both Apistan and Checkmite, when I found both hives developing resistance to Apistan. My varroa counts now are almost zero. (24 hr. sticky board) I'm still wrestling with whether or not to reverse the brood chambers. Ask the "experts" and it's 50-50. Strong opinions on both sides. What do you NC beekeepers do?

two deeps and a medium for brood? That's an awful lot of brood space. Right now, I'm running one deep and one medium, trying to convert to all mediums. I've been a beekeeper for only two years, but so far haven't reversed in the spring and my girls seem to work it out just fine.

The only reason I have the medium on is that it was there for the bees honey, and I put the strips in while it was there, so I can't harvest from that medium. It's really not part of the brood nest, although the queen is laying in the very bottom on a couple of the med. frames.

Just an update. All hives are doing very well. Have made a split that is already been put in full hive. Caught the first swarm this season today. How is everyone else doing??