I had to order deep foundation last winter to get ready for spring. On a whim and because I've heard a lot about it, I ordered small cell. Installed it and forgot about it while doing other things to ready for my 9 packages. I hived several of then on the small cell and promptly forgot about it again. Yesterday I opened one of those hives and there were all these tiny little bees! They are cuter than a gnat's eyebrow.
    They seem to be happy. Did I accomplish a regression in one step? I have a super of that #$%^&* permacomb over 1 deep. In other hives the queen has moved up and laid in the 1st super. This one hasn't. Will she (a normal package queen) balk at laying in normal size cells? I guess I've got to give them small cell supers to mantain. (My normal set-up is 1 deep and 1 or 2 supers for a brood nest). Anyway, I'm happy. Was this too easy?

Dickm

My guess is that if you measure the cells they will be about 5.1mm. But that is a big step down from "normal" 5.5mm. It is that easy. Just sneak in some more 4.9mm in the middle of the brood nest from time to time and you'll soon be at all 4.9mm or smaller.

They are cute aren't they? Now the big ones look strange to me.

I want little bees too !!!! The stinger is smaller also, right