Not as intresting as Topless beekeeping, but I digress.....

Has anyone read the article by Charles Simon about eliminating bottom boards form beekeeping? What do you think? It would save me a bundle, I wouldnt have to convert all my bottoms to screened bottoms, but the robbing issue scares the crap out of me.
    Any opinions? Anyone trying this? I'm putting 3 hives to the test in 2 weeks.

John Russell

Oh, just FYI...the article is on this website under the POV section.

In California where Charles Simon lives? Yes I think it would work, and in fact seems to be working. In Manitoba where you live or Nebraska where I live? I think it's FAR too cold. I don't intend to try it.

Can you send me the info on topless beekeeping?

Sad

I couldn't find anything in POV about bottomless hives.

------------------
    It's Not The Destination, It's The Journey. We Cannot Change The Wind, But We CAN Trim The Sails.

I wasn't thinking year round, I was thinking
    more in the months of July ,August early September. We have +30c days up here, and cool is not a descriptive in those months.
    Perhaps only one strong one then.....I dont know. Nothing ventured nothing gained but I hate risking loss.

J

How would you close it up when it turns cold?

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

I made SBB this year to try on 10 hives to see if I liked them. I also made them with the screen on a removable frame, so that I could take it out and clean it. For winter I planned on taking the screen frame out and replacing it with a solid frame.
    I had thought about trying the a bottomless setupby just removing the frame.
    I had several concerns thou:
    #1) Robbing
    #2) When I used slatted racks, they always seemed to build comb below the frame and filled the space between the rack and frame bottom. Well, without a bottom, I think that they are going to build down below the hive.
    This would mean alot of mess and cleanup for winter.

I think that a SBB, that is removable for cleaning, provides some of the benifits of a bottomless hive, mite and debris removal, but without some of the problems, robbing and bottom comb.