Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

extractor opinions

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  BillKP71 
#1 ·
I am going to get an extractor for my wife for her birthday. I'm sure she will let me use it occasoinally, as she does not keep bees and I keep a few hives.

What types of extracors do my fellow beekeepers use, and are you happy with them?

What are the advantages or disadvantages to tangential or radial extractors?

Thanks for all your opinions, I really want to get her one that suits my, I mean, her needs.

#2 ·
#3 ·
First, I wouldn't buy one unless you're going to buy a big one. A little two frame extractor just isn't worth it to me unless maybe it's around $100. I never bought one until I could afford a 9/18 radial. It's just the right size to fit through a doorway easily and big enough to get some work done.

But, I really think extractors are overrated. Crush and drain isn't that bad of a method, is much cheaper and about the same amount of work.

I think a little two frame non-reversable is much more work than crush and strain. By the time you move the frames that many times and do it all for 5 times for each super.

I did buy the one from Mann Lake and I like it. Partly, at the time, I REALLY liked the price.

#4 ·
>Bill I suggest you get a new dog house when you buy the extractor it might smell better than the one your dog has and you will be in it for awhile!!

Nope, the psychotic lying ***** has been gone for 19 months now, I have no one to answer to but me. Planning a big party when the divorce is final, your invited.

Is the Baldor motor a better motor than the one that is offered for more money? That's odd.

#5 ·
MB is right Buy big if you are going to.I to have the 9/18 form Manlake.I like it so far.Have a 3 frame non reversable crank to and would not wish it on anbody, it will be my botteloing tank one day.The radial is nice drop them in and zip they are done.

#8 ·
I have the Italian made 9 frame radial extractor from Brushy Mtn.

It works like a charm on shallows or mediums, but it is a tangential extractor for deeps. This does not bother me since I only used deeps for brood nests, and then only the bottom box.

I have had it 3 working seasons, 4 years. The only problem that I ever had was once when I cranked it up too suddenly the fibreglass crank broke. Brushy replaced it within days and in the meantime I used a makeshift crank. The barrel is stainless and it sits on three legs that keep it steady. If out of balance it will try to walk, but all small extractors will do that.

The legs are tall enough that a 5 gallon bucket sits under it easily and it cleans easily with a garden hose. My buddy who uses it generally puts it in the back of his truck and washes it at the car wash after he lets his bees play with it for a day or so.

In the off season it sits in my barn covered with a big garbage sack. I put the sack over the top and tie it around the barrel so that nothing can get inside. Next season it gets washed again with hot water and detergent and away we go. I would not know what to do with an extractor much larger than this.
Ox

#11 ·
Has anyone used the German-made Fritz 12/20 frame radial extractor ($975.00) that BetterBee advertises in their catalog?

They say it has a speed control lever that can gradually increase the speed or set to one particular speed. Do other comparable extractors do that? How big of a deal is that feature anyway?

Since it's $150.00 more than the 9/18 Mann Lake extractor, I think I'll probably go with the Mann Lake. Also, I use only 9 frames in my honey supers so the 9/18 seems to be a ideal multiple (1 9-frame super/load). Plus, it's got Michael B.'s seal of approval.

Dadant advertises their steel is twice as thick as other extractors. But if the guage of steel used for other extractors is adequate, isn't the thicker steel superfluous and only adding unnecessary weight? I'm more concerned about the construction of the moving parts and the motor. Who's extractor excells for these?

(I apologise if I should be asking this in the Equipment group, but since this thread is already started I guess it's ok)

#12 ·
I have the Dadant 6 frame radial w/ Baldor DC motor. It does a very good job and is well made. It extracts six frames in about the time I can uncap the same. Once the frames are pretty much empty I goose it up to the top speed and the supers come out pretty dry.

The steel is quite sturdy and the gears are heavy duty. Probably last longer than my back.

I had planned to get a cheaper version when I drove over to the Dadant warehouse in Texas. They let me open up the boxes of various extractors to check them out. The 6 frame was a compromise in price and need. I needed to find a present for my wife to give me for my birthday and this was about a large a price as I could get by her.

#13 ·
Thicker ss means less denting and creasing over the years. All things being equal heavy up to a point is better. Less walking less stress cracking from vibration easy to repair when problems do arise. Welded seams instead of rolled crimped or soldered seams American made motors, drives, and controls may not be any better{I think they are by far} but they are available. I have not extracted with the dadant yet but it does look and feel like quality. From a man who loves, appreciates and expects quality for the money.

#14 ·
Hey Bill how many hives do you i mean your wife have? And then how many hive do you plan on haveing?Ok you will find that most people who get into beekeeping plan on a few hives.Then you will read on this site "I dare you yo only stay with a few" This seems to be true.Not many of us can turn down a swarm in a tree or building.Then You i mean your wife are looking to get more supers and bottom boards to catch these bees.
But then this is for most of us a hobby. We enjoy the bees and have fun watching them.That all said need an extractor?LOL So what does your wife realy WANT for her birthday?
Have fun shopping
Bob

#15 ·
I started with one hive, now I have 5 hives. And I aquired enough free "hand me down" equiptment for 4 more hives. I must also tell you that we went to the state bee meeting one year, on her birth day. I had to sit for two hours at a poetry reading for that one.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I also believe that quality is worth paying for.

#16 ·
Bill,

Did you decide which extractor you're going to get your wife? My wife's birthday is also coming up in a couple weeks and I'm looking for ideas ;)

Thanks!
Bill

P.S. Would you mind sending me your e-mail address? We can't bee that far apart. (Although I spend my weekdays in lovely south philly.)

------------------
Bill Stoffel
billkp71@earthlink.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.