I've visited this web sight a few times and today a new friend (iddee) who is a member here suggested that I register as a member.

I am part owner in a small family farm; We farm Boer goats Orchard grass hay several acres of garden and now a small but growing bee operation in Union county North Carolina.

I manager a feed mill for Perdue Farms Inc (As my day job) and farm the rest of my leisure time away. The bees are not a new item to the farm but we never spent any time learning why we lost so many hives in years past (actualy had little to no time left to spend.)

The new hives have sparked a new interest in learning all I can to keep them alive and healthy. I hope to be a master bee-keeper at some point in life and would sure appreciate any advice from the pro's.
    I prefer to learn as many natural treatments and remedies as possible for general bee hive problems but I'll sure be thankful for any good advice..

Thanks

Hi, and welcome! Beesource is a Great source of help, information, and inspiration. I've been a member about 4 months or so, and I've learned a lot. You'll enjoy it. Don't be afraid to ask questions- there are a lot of knowledgeable people here.

Cheers,

George-
    Dulcius ex asperis

Hi

I'm fairly close to you
    this is a great site, lot's of info
    I'm a rookie, so I'm learning a lot
    check out the biological beekeeping section here
    lot's of good stuff

Dave

Glad to see you made it.
    Welcome, You won't regret it.
    I'm sixty years old and these guys still teach me something new every day.

Naw, we just throw out thoughts and observations, and hope somebody puts it together for a complete picture. I think everyone has something to contrubite, and as a group we do an outstanding job coming up with the answers. Enjoy the forum, and don't be afraid to ask questions, or post observations, it might just be the missing link we've been looking for.

peggjam
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Welcome!

Lotsa good info here; I'm just returning to bees after about a quarter century absence. Real friendly folks here! Just browse through the forums & throw out questions & comments when something comes to mind.

You might want to check out the chat sessions also; folks show up about 9-9:30pm eastern time most every night. Topics can bee most anything!

Lew Best

Sheesh PJ,

We get a new gut and you start out by calling him a missing link. God's gonna give you more work...

Hawk
    KC0YXI

watch out for chat, boy, do they have a bridge to sell you! (organics

that was a joke. really.

welcome to beesource!
    \"You\'ve got to stop beating up your women because you can\'t find a job, because you didn\'t want to get an education and now you\'re (earning) minimum wage.\"<br /><br />-Bill Cosby

Hello to everyone “
    And thanks for the warm welcome, my grandpa was a small-scale beekeeper and it seems like we’ve always had at least one or two hives for as long as I can remember. Were small farmers, vegetables & hay are 90% of the farm. Grandpa always wanted the bees for the pollination service they provided to the gardens and as a kid I was always helping to catch a swarm or build or repair hives but that is about all of my beekeeping education.

We’ve lost more hives than I can count in the past 20 years due to disease / mites and lack of any care in the bee yard. The bees did there work and we had our hands full of our own work. As I get a little older my son has started to be a real help around the farm I have a little more time to invest in hobby interest that I have.

Recently I purchased 4 hives (brood and a ½) each with two medium supers on each hive from an older gentleman ready to retire from working with bees. The bees seem to be very healthy and active from a distance. Moving them had them a little up-set but not overly aggressive. I plan to open each hive and have a look around when they settle down a little sometime this weekend.
    The hive boxes were in decent shape but I would like to place the bees into new boxes this fall, so one question I have is can I simply place the frames from the older hives into new ones without major problems? As I build up in numbers I want to be sure I end up with bees and hive boxes in better than average condition.

Also in the purchase deal was fore box feeders (the in hive type) with floats to prevent the bees from drowning. As a general rule do all of you guys feed your bees over the winter months after removing honey from the supers in the summer?

Thank you all again for your help and warm welcome.

Speaking only for myself, NO. I think feeding causes more problems than it solves and Restrict it to early spring buildup (which I didn't need this year) and saving a starving colony. Any other feeding is pampering. They shouldn't need it.

Also you mentioned replacing the boxes. I think replacing the frames would be higher on my list of importance. If you know that they're fairly new, disregard.

More responses are pending.

Hawk
    KC0YXI