• Starline

7 7.37%
  • Cardovan

2 2.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Races of Bees

What type of Honeybee do you have?
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

can you add 'feral' or unknown? I have some ferals that have pretty much taken over and are prodigious producers, and hygenic, but they will sting the living snot out of you. I don't think they are AHB, but they would like tothink they are.

Isn't it Cordovan not Cardovan?

Most of mine originated from a captured feral colony. They are probably Africanized to some degree, but are hardly as agressive as advertised. While I am examining them about 6 - 12 are usually testing the integrity of my veil, but after the hives are closed up again I can walk around among them in sandals, shorts and shirtless without them hardly bothering me at all.

I have a few Cordovan Italian colonies and a few colonies with Cordovan Italian queens open mated with local drones. BTW Cordovan is not a strain or breed of honeybee, but just a genetic trait affecting color -- it can be bred into any honeybee variety.

Oops: I left this out -- most of my colonies/hives are direct decendants of a feral colony I hived 8+ years ago and divided many times.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

They are probably Africanized to some degree, but are hardly as agressive as advertised.
    Maybe your bees are not as aggressive as advertised, but that doesn't mean that all AHB are not as aggressive. Don't you think that is due in part to the fact that the AHB genes have been watered down? Just like any other trait, the more genes you pull from good lines the thinner the less acceptable genes become.

BTW Cordovan is not a strain or breed of honeybee, but just a genetic trait affecting color -- it can be bred into any honeybee variety.
    I'm curious as to what a Carniolan or Caucasian would look like with the Cordovan trait...

>They are probably Africanized to some degree, but are hardly as agressive as advertised. While I am examining them about 6 - 12 are usually testing the integrity of my veil, but after the hives are closed up again I can walk around among them in sandals, shorts and shirtless without them hardly bothering me at all.

I've seen Italians meaner than that. I've seen Buckfasts that would make the mean Italians seem nice.

Why do you assume they are AHB? I see no evidence of it from your experiences.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

"Feral" and "all of the above" would have been nice choices. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Joseph Clemens, points out.

Isn't it Cordovan not Cardovan?

Your right I misspelled the name (Opps!)

FordGuy asks?

can you add 'feral' or unknown?

I thought (None of the Above) would cover feral unknown honeybees, I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat.
    I notice that 31 of the 45 people responding so far have chosen Italian, Why? And are there resistant types?
    Michael, the poll allows as many choices as you want.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Just a suggestion but add "POLL" in the title to catch folks eye better.

MB,
    In my own way I'm just trying to overcome some of the prejudice that surrounds AHBs.

I am convinced they are not the "Superbee/Killer bee" that publicity has made them out to be.

I try to bring attention to the illogical, even hysterical nature of the attitude that the mention of AHB tends to provoke. I guess "Fear of the unknown" is way too powerful a motivator sometimes. People (curiously beekeepers too) tend to forget how easy it is to change the entire organism (the hive), just by destroying the queen and/or replace her. Or, if that is too difficult, a spray bottle of soapy water and presto, the bad bees are gone. So much for the superbee.

Here are some quotations from news articles at this link (http://news.surfwax.com/pets/files/A...ized_Bees.html);
    "The bees were so aggressive they chased the mother and children into a house.", "Africanized bees go for the head and neck, according to the Texas officials.", and a voice of reason: "The fire department says that regular bees are just as dangerous as Africanized bees -- if they are agitated in their hives."

Bottom line:
    So what -- I don't care if they're AHBs or non-AHBs -- why would that matter? If they behave themselves in a dangerously defensive/agressive manner, if they're in a hive; requeen or destroy. If they are feral, destroy them. Why would it matter if they are AHB, EHB, or something else. If they pose a threat to humans or domestic animals -- change them or destroy them.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

>If they behave themselves in a dangerously defensive/agressive manner, if they're in a hive; requeen or destroy. If they are feral, destroy them. Why would it matter if they are AHB, EHB, or something else. If they pose a threat to humans or domestic animals -- change them or destroy them.

I totally agree, if they behave I think it's irelevant. If they don't then it's VERY relevant.

I just see any reason to think yours *ARE* AHB.

>"The bees were so aggressive they chased the mother and children into a house."

I've had bees chase me into the house before. [img]smile.gif[/img]

> "Africanized bees go for the head and neck, according to the Texas officials."

As all honey bees obviously do. [img]smile.gif[/img]

>"The fire department says that regular bees are just as dangerous as Africanized bees -- if they are agitated in their hives."

True. And if you run fast enough, you'll probably be fine. [img]smile.gif[/img]

MB,
    You're probably correct. My bees probably aren't Africanized. I had thought they might be -- back when I experienced agressive behavior. I now realize that behavior only happened between flows, when robbing was in progress, during inclement weather, and if the colonies had otherwise been disturbed.

Since my bees are now calm and serene, they either are not AHB or AHB has a false image. Either way, calm, productive bees that tolerate mites without loss seems to be a desirable bee. I love mine. Though I have been experimenting with other bees, here at my home apiary, I will probably keep my other apiary just as it is (local feral survivor mutts).
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

Cecropia is missing from this list!

All bees get grouchy in a dearth or bad weather or when they are being robbed. That's what honey bees do. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Louis 1st sorry I didn’t include Cecropia, honeybees but then I’m not familiar with the type. I probably could have included Africanized honey bees as well. But I didn’t think anybody was deliberately raising them.
    So for everyone that has a suggestion to improve the poll, add your type of Bee and tell why you have them, pros and cons.
    Michael and Joseph, the meanest bees I have ran into are Bald Face Hornets, they almost stung me to death when I was 16, I was helping my Dad clear some brush and stepped into a nest. They stung and bite me for about a 1/4 mile, and that’s when I could run fast. Ended up in the emergency room. Surprising tho that’s what sparked my interest in Bees.

Hornets ≠ bees. Translation: hornets/wasps -not equal to- bees

Hornets are hornets, they are no type of bee at all.

Hornets and wasps generally eat meat. Bees are strictly vegetarians.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

what kinda keyboard you got Joseph??
    I have to use !=

Dave

Thanks Joseph for the entomology lesson. I do know the difference between Wasps, Hornets and Honeybees. I was speaking in general terms concerning stinging incests.

drobbins,
    I copied and pasted the special character from Microsoft Word.

Brent Bean,
    But you called Bald Faced Hornets, "the meanest bees".
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

>I probably could have included Africanized honey bees as well. But I didn’t think anybody was deliberately raising them.

Just most of the beekeepers in Central and South America. That's only one continent full of people. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Are AHb genetics more widespread in the U.S. than many would have us believe?

Now the lid is off the situation in Florida with the recent press release by Jerry Hayes.

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/press/2005/07192005.html

quote:
    "AHB DNA was detected in 40 of 93 samples taken from honey bee colonies in La Belle, Florida in early May 2005."

"AHB's are being detected in colonies that return to Florida after being shipped around the country for pollination, particularly from almond groves in California where AHb is already established"

My opinion:
    Do some walkaway splits and before long you are going to see some real aggressive AHB in La Belle.
    Bob Harrison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast