Thread: OVER WINTERING

i must be doing something wrong.i wrap my hives,they have insulated tops on them and they have plenty of food.i know most other people are not even wrapping them and are doing fine.i live in iowa,it does get cold but other people dont have any problems.some of my hives are dying and i dont know why.

possibly treacheal mites or varroa mites or excess moisture from poor ventilation
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

Question

super bee,

It might help others (like me and you) if you tell us what you have done for T-mites, V-mites and moisture control.

thanx,

------------------
    Dave W . . .

A NewBEE with 1 hive.
    First package installed
    April, 2003.

superbee

Did you put something in the top of the hives to absorb and contain the moisture so that it's doesn't condense and fall back onto the cluster?

I don't have ventilation inside my hives but they have newspaper and sugar on top to absorb moisture that can then be reused if they need it....depending on the relative humidity etc...

my spelling was atrosheesh!

[This message has been edited by Daisy (edited January 20, 2004).]

You are not the only person in Iowa who has trouble keeping bees alive. If people tell you they are not having trouble, I wouldn't put much stock in it. Most of the death loss is mite related. You have to know what your mite load is, both Varroa and tracheal,to have any chance of keeping your bees alive. When testing for Varroa you have to keep in mind that up to 75% of the mites can be in the brood. This can lead to exponential increase late in the year.

Even if you treated for mites with Apistan or Checkmite that doesn't mean you took care of the mites. A lot of Apistan resistance is around and even a little to much of the Chackmite will kill the bees.

Most losses that are not starvation are mites. You can't see the Tracheal mites, but you CAN see the Varroa once you know what they look like. You should get a Screened Bottom Board and monitor the mite drop to see what you have.

I live in Eastern Nebraska and have lived in the Panhandle of Nebraska and on the front range in Colorada and in Laramie Wyoming. I've never wrapped a hive. Maybe that is part of your problem. Maybe the moisture is trapped inside.