Thread: burial duties

Hybrid View

OK, so its been raining here for about 26 hours straight, seriously, and the bees haven't had a chance to get out and work to much but just went out to the hives and see how they were doing anyway and noticed dead, wet, and dark bees on the front porch. I'm assuming they have just been removed from the hive naturally but the bees weren't able to perform their undertaking duties properly because it has been so wet and outside of the hive suffices for now. I'm assuming they will finish the job once it dries out a little out there.

yes.

I'm new so don't laugh, but they actually bury them? I noticed they pitched all the dead ones out that were in the bottom of packages I recently loaded, but the weather here has been terrible as well. I just figured they threw them out the front and that was the end of it.

No, Scott, they don't bury them...
    Just dump them out the door, sometimes a couple feet further away, but that's it.

------------------

When they dry they sometimes are stuck to the front entrance board. Do your bees a favor and knock them off. They will spend alot of energy trying to move stuck bees.

Pretty much, you are right. They haul them a little ways and drop them a few inches in front of the entrance.

That is what I had noticed. It was fascinating how much they had gotten done the first day in their new hive after being in a shipping box for 6 days.

[This message has been edited by scott_dixon (edited May 23, 2003).]