Thread: old hive

Hi all, I had posted a question a while ago about an old hive I found and how to go about getting it into a new hive box. I got lots of great answers, thank you, I agree with the "1000 members" post that this is a great sight. Maybe I should be a "new bee". Anyway, I finally got all my hive stuff and am painting it. I went and looked into the hive for the first time. It takes a little effort to get over the nerves but all went well, the frames are stuck and when I tryed to pry them a little the sides of the box wanted to break apart. It was interesting to get that first look and get used to the equipment and smoker. I have decided to finish painting the new woodenware and put the old hive on a bottom board with a new hive body on top and leave it.I will probably feed them also.
    My question now is for the new frames. The new foudation fits in slots inside the top and bottom of the new frames. Does it need any other support? Wire? Tacks? Nothing like that came in the kit. The foundation is very firm so maybe it is fine the way it came.

What kind of foundation are you using? Wax, plastic, Duragilt...

On the reciept it says placticell foundation.

Then it should be just fine with out any wire or pins.

Thank you very much for your reply. Have a good Labor Day weekend.