Thread: honey plant?

twind59 Guest

Question

A friend has a stand of what he calls ornamental bamboo. In the summer it is loaded with creamy white flowers and loads of honeybee's. I'm thinking about starting some here for my bee's, but I'm not sure if it is actually a desirable honey plant. Anyone know anything about this plant or have any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Barry
    Indianapolis

Got a picture you can post?

twind59 Guest

Sad

Nope...no pic available.

Is this Japanese Bamboo? It is listed as a invasive species in many states. If you plant it be prepared to look at it for many years. It spreads like crazy and very difficult to remove, lots of deep digging and chemicals. It's a dark honey, bees absoulutely swarm it in summer. It will shut out all other flowers underneath in a dark dense canopy.

If this is the same plant that is at my parents house they are the worst plant i have ever seen, yes the bees seem to love them but they spread like mad and you can not kill them, we have poisoned, burned, chopped, you name it. If anyone has had any luck in killing these things please post or let me know
    thanks

------------------
    never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

twind59 Guest

Yes...these desriptions sound like the plant. Invasive...hard to kill off. I can live with that, though, if they can boost production...especially late in the season for winter stores. Nikoli, the stand of this plant that I know of is just northwest of you in Chesterton.

twind59 Guest

Yes...these desriptions sound like the plant. Invasive...hard to kill off. I can live with that, though, if they can boost production...especially late in the season for winter stores. Nikoli, the stand of this plant that I know of is just northwest of you in Chesterton.

Lightbulb

Here are some pictures of bamboos, and flowers too. I miss my bamboo. I had to leave them at my old home except what I transplanted to the farm, never saw it flower though. You can kind of see it in my web site behind the trailor just past the hives in the background. It took about five years to start putting up shoots that would rise up almost thirty feet and was starting to spread. I guess I won't miss it coming up all over the yard. Last time I saw it, it was heading towards the watergarden. It's somebody's elses problem now.
    http://www.forestryimages.org/cgi-bi...&goButton=+go+