I read a post below by someone who got on this board because a bee got in the apartment, and he/she was afraid of it. It was met with a lot of sarcasm and a little hostility, and it occured to me that this is not the first time I've seen this kind of reaction on the Bee Forum. Why not give this person the benifit of the doubt? I agree that his/her response is silly, but I sometimes think that we as beekeepers tend to get our noses out of joint too easily, and that we need to get down off of our "high horse".

Most people I know don't realize how imporant honey bees are to our agriculture... that doesn't make them dumb, just uninformed. I've explained this to very smart people, and they had no idea. Use the California almond business as an example, and you'll see folks eye widen appreciably. And in most cases, they'll come to appreciate and admire the honey bee.

As for the fear, I don't think uninformed people who are afraid of stinging insects are foolish. After all, it's a natural tendancy. How many of you would be nervous to hold a scorpion or tarantula in your hand, even though the propensity for a strike in most species is very low? You might do it if an expert told you it was okay, but would you do it on your own? Answer honestly...

Most uninformed folks make no distinction between honey bees and wasp and hornets. They all buzz, they all fly and they all sting. For most people, that's as much as they feel they need to know. It's kind of like snakes. Some people are afraid of all snakes, even though there are far more that are harmless. It's just a reaction brought upon by years of conditioning.

I've read a lot of messages on this board where people sort of hold in contempt those who are afraid of honey bees. They make comments like "...don't they know how few people are really alergic?" Or, "... don't they know that wasps and hornets are carvinorous?" The reality is that most people don't know. It's our job to re-orient thier thinking, not to mock them for their fear.

I know most beekeepers are eager to reach out to the community, and to educate others about honey bees. That is why I find the sarcasm and derision so odd.

Okay, I've said my piece. As I open my virtual umbrella to deflect all of the virtual rotten fruit I expect to be hurled at me from some of you, I ask that you at least consider what I've said.

You may commence flaming me...

Matt

Well said Matt!
    I can not believe how many people that I have met that do not know the importance of the honey bee. I have only been beekeeping for a year. In that time I have talked with at least 20 people (my own sister in law included) who think of all bees as being like yellow jackets and wasps who are out to destroy your family picnic! When I do a little explaining about the differences they are very surprised, and usually want to know more. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Lori
    Bee Happy!<br />Lori<br /><br />\"You know, You never can tell with bees\". (Winnie The Pooh)

Hi Guys,

Isn't it strange how a terrified person turns to the computer for help. Imagine setting in terror while searching, registering, posting and then waiting for a reply that could save your life. Yeah! Right!!

My wife is irrationally terrified of a common domestic animal. And I can assure you that when she encounters that critter, you won't find her logging on to that a website that promotes that critter and then wait for a reply to be rescued from her terror. She would know what to do with that computer to solve the problem and it wouldn't have to be plugged in to work.

That critter will be gone fast or she will be gone even faster. And I bet she can come up with a 100 ways to eliminate the problem that I would never think of. And do it in a millisecond. I think she actually has some of those solutions preplanned. :&gt))

So I'm just one unfeeling, heartless guy. But I don't buy that story for a second.

I can't believe an adult, though completely terrified by a bee, would lack the wits to know what to do. And if I were in that situation, I would have a flyswatter, etc in every room. Just in case.

If the post were sincere, then it's time for that person to grow up, get a flyswatter and get a life.

If the post is a hoax, then it's time for that person to grow up, unplug the computer and get a life.

Regards
    Dennis
    And after posting twice concerning this issue, it may be time for me to unplug the computer and get a life :&gt)))

My girlfriend is terrified of bugs. No matter what kind or size, she is simply terrified of them. Is this an irrational reaction to something as small as most bugs? Absolutely. But, nonetheless she has gone so far as to rip off her blouse when a small beetle went down the front of it. Fortunately she had enough wit to wait until she got in the house before removing her bra!!!

She was also terrified of bees until I started dating her and managed to get her close enough to my hives so that she could stand and watch all of the intricies of the bee's behavior. Since she has been around them a little more, she has recently gotten close enough to a swarm to take pictures of them from only four feet away.

Recently when I did some splits she commented "Won't they all die if they don't have a queen?". Even though I explained to her what was going to happen to them she was still concerned about their well being.

I have to agree with Matt when he states that " It's our job to re-orient their thinking, not to mock them for their fear". People are more afraid of the unknown then they are of those dangers that they are well versed in.

BTW, my girlfriend is still terrified of June bugs, go figure.
    Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken!

Education overcomes ignorance most of the time.

I'm 50 yrs old. For the first 10 years or so I played with bees...catching them, holding them...then, pre-teen, for some reason I developed a fear of them thatgrew and Grew and GREW until I was terrified of them until I was about 40.

Then a friend taught me about bees...and now I have millions and millions and millions...

Education works...doh!

BubbaBob

Matt, we're all about sarcasm here. It's all in good fun. You have to have thick skin if you're going to be a beekeeper, especially if you're going to post. If you beleive that person wasn't putting the spoof on us then you need to re-read his/her post and the replies and do some reading between the lines.(and get your virtual head out of the sand) That's OK but here, if you dish it out you're going to get it back. Some people take their toys and go home. Some people come back again to find it really wasn't personal. There is no hostility, it's about a thought provoking, sometimes mind bending challenge to each and every mind who thinks this post and the people here are worth spending time with. (read does freezing candles make them burn longer) As for me I have earned a great affection and respect for the regulars here who are not afraid to put their ideas into the light of critism, take a sound beating, and come back for more. We all have a great deal to share and how boring it would be if we just stated the facts. As for your post, wasps are not carvinorous(your word), people who don't know things aren't dumb, their ignorant and we would never throw rotten fruit, only the best for our fellow posters!

&gt;So I'm just one unfeeling, heartless guy. But I don't buy that story for a second.

I agree. I've seen posters pranks quite a few times here. Beehater reciently. I suspect that some of the posters that have taken their toys and gone away, (or been banned), come back as pranksters.

Could you imagine the neighbors pit bull loose in your yard? Would you spend the time to find a web site dedicated to pit bulls, register, and then post about the attitudes of the breed?

It was a hoax!

&gt;(read does freezing candles make them burn longer)

I was SO disapointed when they finally gave up
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

The original topic was: "This is very embarasing but please help!" The poor fool ought to be embarrassed over that hooey.

There have been imposters on some of the Yahoo groups who've actually argued, in posts, back and forth with their alter egos.

&gt;(read does freezing candles make them burn longer)
    &gt;I was SO disapointed when they finally gave up

(Hey Bill, as soon as I finish the food in my freezer I can start those candle experiments.)

&gt;(Hey Bill, as soon as I finish the food in my freezer I can start those candle experiments.)

I thought they would get even colder if you set them outside your igloo
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam