Thread: Terramycin-10

I am a new bee keeper and need to know the proper mix of Terramycin - 10 and sugar. I can not find Terramycin-25.

Thanks for any help you might be.

------------------

TM is approved for use on healthy colonies of honeybees for the prevention of AFB disease. In order to produce the desired dosage of 200 milligrams per ounce feeding, the drug formulation is most often given to bees in a mixture with powdered sugar (make sure with no additives like cornstarch, etc. you want straight powdered sugar).

TM-10 2 1/2 tsp (1/3oz) to 3 tbsp (1oz) sugar

TM-25 1 tsp (1/8oz) to 3 tbsp (1oz) sugar

TM-50 1/2 tsp (1/16oz) to 3tbsp(1oz) sugar

Now the above is for feeding only one colony.

TM-10 1 lb to 2 lb (32 oz) sugar
    TM-25 1 lb to 6 lb 13 oz (109 oz) sugar
    TM-50 1 lb to 14 lb 10 oz (234 oz) sugar

For the above mixture here for feeding more then one colony, you apply one ounce (3 level tablespoonfuls) of the drug-sugar mixture to the top bars of the frames at the back of the brood nest or around the periphery of the broodnest.

Now final note: TM is known to shorten the working life of adult honeybees by 1/2. So only treat it you have to. Also it kills beneficial bacteria in the honeybees gut just like antibiotics do if overdone in humans making food hard to digest.

Also TM is sunlight sensitive and breaks down exposed to sunlight. so to store keep in dark cool place.

Use only as needed.

Good luck.

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby

Question

TM is known to shorten the working life of adult honeybees by 1/2. So only treat it you have to.

How do you know if you have AFB or EFB until it's too late. Also, would you recommend treating packaged hives?

Thanks,
    sparrow

Question

"How do you know if you have AFB or EFB until it's too late. Also, would you recommend treating packaged hives?"

Hi -

What is too late? Do we take antibiotics on a regular basis just in case we might get something that would require it? No. When there is a need for it, we use it, otherwise we don't. Same should apply to animals. Unless you know you have AFB or EFB, leave the drugs out of the hive would be my suggestion. There are various ways to deal with AFB and EFB once you get it, if you get it.

I would not suggest treating packaged bees.

Regards,
    Barry

Cool

To Sparrow, There are ways to tell if you have AFB or EFB. There are good books telling and showing you how to and what to look for. Some Beekeeping Associations and other groups(cooperative extentions)run courses about Foulbrood and other diseases. I belong to the NJBA and we have courses and guest speakers about this subject all the time. Find out if your library has the books or get involved with your local association. Steve PS Easy Barry, some out here don't know and are trying to learn.

[This message has been edited by NewBee (edited April 09, 2002).]

Sad

Sorry, I didn't intend to sound condescending or heavy handed. NewBee had better tact than I. Must have been in one of those moods where I was short on words. Good point NewBee.

Regards,
    Barry

Cool

No offense taken. I'm just happy to have an online source to take ? to. I have joined a local assn. and they gave me the same advice. I watched a film by the Georgia Extention office hosted by Dr. Kieth Delaplane and he treated the new hives a few days after intallation.

Thanks again for your advice.
    Sparrow

[This message has been edited by sparrow (edited April 11, 2002).]

I would only use TM if you have AFB. Would you give your child antibiotics unless they were sick? Doing this is harming bees in the long run because treating profilacticaly causes a resistanse to the drug thus growing a super bacillus that we can't kill.

Good luck

------------------
    Tim Gifford