Thread: birdfeeder bees

Hi All, I posted my name with the local dog wardens, police and fire depts to contact for swarm removal. I got a call from a man who had bees in his bird feeder. I got there and there were several hundred bees in his feeder. The bees were going into the feeder some were coming out with full polen pouches The feeder was had mixed seed in it . Any one seen this befor Thanks Dan

far out,i guess there could be pollen from sunflower,millet ,sorgum or safflower.never heard of such a thing.

I see it in the early spring in my chicken feeder. They are just looking for pollen and they are taking the grain dust, like pollen substitute.

Since they are my bees, I just take it as a hint I should feed them some pollen.

This is why I try to get soyflour out to the beeyards as soon as the spring weather permits bee flight. They will search everywhere for a protien source, which tends to become a bother to neighbours. As soon as the neighbours are bothered by the bees, they don't want the bees around anymore!! Setting out soyflour seems to satisfy the bees protien need.

Ian

This is why I try to get soyflour out to the beeyards as soon as the spring weather permits bee flight. They will search everywhere for a protien source, which tends to become a bother to neighbours. As soon as the neighbours are bothered by the bees, they don't want the bees around anymore!! I find the protien patties does not seem to settle their foraging erge.
    It's neet watching them collect the flour...

Ian

I noticed our bees doing the same thing on our bird feeder.We have 3 tube feeder,one filled with sun flower seed, one with millet,one with cracked corn. The bees went to the cracked corn, and fed off it for 2 days and quit, and found some thing better I guess.

Mine only do it for a little while. I figure it's until some good pollen comes in.