Big Grin

I combined my two weak hives last Sat. and yesterday I did the inspection. Most of the paper(that was between the hive bodies was shreaded and some thrown on the ground in front of the hive. I was surpised that the paper was in such large strips! But the bees had emptied the feed and filled the comb with it.Even found small amounts of sugar crystalson the tops to the frames?They were busy bringing in pollen from the Golden Rod and buckwheat that is in full bloom. I was unsure if I should open up the hive becasue there were so many yellow jackets flying around and landing on the side of the hive very close to the bottom board. I mashed alot of them. staying there for a about 30 min. to watch. I never saw a yellow jacket enter but they sure were close. I put an entrance reducer on to help the bees if there was a robbing in process. I went into the hive and did not see any YJ but the bees were very clam and working together. I actual saw one queen.

BILLY BOB Guest

5TR-Apiary,

>I went into the hive and did not see any YJ but the bees were very clam and working together. I actual saw one queen.

So you left both queens in the hive?

Generaly you remove one of the queens. The one that you don't like as much as the other. If you let them fight it out you may not get the queen that you want. If the queen that came from the weak hive comes out on top, the hive may not be any better than before. She may not be a productive queen. If you know why the hive was weak, then it may not be the queens falt. (they do get most of the blame).

Even if the queen isn't at falt I would have picked one of them for the final hive. Letting the queens fight it out only makes the transition longer for the hives to come together.

It does sound as if the hive is doing fine. Bringing in pollen and you are feeding. If Yellow Jackets are flying around the hive make sure none of the feed is leaking out...that happoned to me once. Thought I'd never get rid of the things!

BB

Thanks for the reply! Both queens were equal in laying, both were from superceding, both had good patterns. But the hives had little brood in both and with the cold snap that was coming I was afraid I would lose both to the wax moths. So I decided to let them figure it our for themselves.

This is what I did when I combined two hives together recently. One was so gentle they wouldn't guard their entrance. I put them (queen and all) on the top of another hive.

They could both still be in there for all I know. I know it's cram packed with bees, and pollen is going in like the others and the smell from that weed pollen they're collecting from recently is obnoxious.....

Anyway...

When you get old and tired you just cut corners sometimes.

BILLY BOB Guest

Daisy is the smell goldenrod?

and are you going to be in the chat room tonight? 8 your time

BB

Yes Billy Bob, it's golden rod. All hives stink to high heaven by evening, then come morning they've done their thing and the air is pretty clear again.

I enjoyed chat last night. You didn't visit long enough.....