Thread: Spring

Here in S. E. Wiscosin yesterday the temps were in the 40s with even warmer days forcast for the weekend. Bees were flying pretty good. Mixed up pails of sugar syrup and opened up. I place a piece of 1" styrofoam over the top frames and the telescoping cover over that. A small 2" square is cut out of the front of the isulation to allow for ventilation and access. About 3 of 6 were in good condition with a cluster spreading 3 to 4 frames and looking great. The other 3 hives were literally full of bees across the entire 10 frames. No signs of condesation on any of the hives. Probably the best over winter I have ever had. Did lose one colony early in the winter. This colony was weak from the start and I should have merged it. It started as a late season swarm . I treated last fall with the Bayer strips and plan this season to go strictly with FGMO. Hope others are enjoying similar results.

karl:

Was "Bayer" strips the only medication you use?

Thanx
    Dave W

Hi Dave: In spring I had used Apistan on a couple of these hives that had overwintered the previous year. The balance were packages. I try to alternate when using Bayer strips or Apistan. Hopefullt the FGMO will work and save some money. I am excited about trying it. Picked up a new fogger off Ebay this winter and have picked up the oil. Next project is to make up the emmulsion cords.

Cool

It sure is feeling good now.72 degrees
    today,i'm moving 4 or 5 strong hives to a strawberry patch tonite or tomorrow nite,hope everyone's bees are doing good & building - up, mark

>I try to alternate when using Bayer strips or Apistan. Hopefullt the FGMO will work and save some money.

I don't know about saving you money when you look at the labour involved. labour all included,I'd say Apistan by far is cheaper,

Ian

Re labor. Probably could be an issue on a larger scale. I run 6 hives now and am increasing by another 6 this spring. I check the hives at least weekly so will be right there anyway. Not crazy about using any chemicals if it can be avoided.Good beekeeping!

I treated my bees w/ Apistan in the Fall. I just came back in from inspecting my 2 hive body colony and things look great. I just added the boardman feeder.

Do I need to teat again w/ Apistan?

Depends if you have mites or not. I usually treat only once in the spring. There are beekeepers around here that are considering treating in spring and fall.

Ian

I treated last fall and I also installed apistan just last weekend. This weekend I checked my sticky board and found many many mites. I would recomend spring and fall. And definatly install screened bottom boards.
    Bill