Thread: Hive location

I remember reading, quite some years ago, that bees do better if their hive is located in full sun, as opposed to partial or full shade. Is this true?

Full sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon is what most people seem to like.
    If they are in full shade, the small hive beetle seems to like it better.

Kurt

Seems to be the same for me with the SHB

Smile

I have mine in shade till 1 PM then they are in full sun till dark. It can get kinda toasty when inspecting in the afternoon but that's a small price to pay to keep the hives healthy.
    Dan

The bees seem to produce the best in the sun. Have less incedence of chaulkbrood in the sun. But it is VERY nice working them in the shade.

I have about three of my hives in the shade and the rest are in the sun. I'm tempted to move them all to the shade.

My girls get sun from dawn to about noon. Then dappled shade til about 3 and then full shade. When I need to work them, I do so about 10:30 am when fewer of them "are home" and it hasn't gotten too hot. I think it's the perfect set up because they're out and working bright and early--they seem pretty happy about it.

Cool

It is definately true, but in our area you have to help with ventilation in the summer because of the heat / humidity by using SBB's and shims / proping the top up, etc.

I don't know how true it is, but I've heard it said that hives mostly in the shade have more aggressive bees.